Help 5 Fish died this am??!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys ive discovered ich on one of my neon tetras on Monday am, after heeding advice from members here I raised the heater to 88f (31c) and waited. I did a 40% water change on tuesday and was planning on doing one this am (as suggested by members change water every 2-3 days with ich)but when I checked on the tank this am 5 emerald eye raspboras were dead? Checked my params and they were normal. The one neon that had the ich is still alive, no one else is infected that I can see so I dont know what to do.

here is my 7 month old, heavily planted set up:
30 g tall, 3 platys (all male), 1 honey gourami, 5 harlequin raspbora, 5 emerald eye raspbora, 6 neon tetras, 5 red skirt tetra, 3 cory habrosus, 3 pigmy cory. Im very good with water changes every 4-5 days, i change about 40% of the water. I have a aquaclear 70g.

please help,

correction, it was 5 von rio tetra (flame tetra), not red skirt, and I have a 70g aqua filter.

thanks again

Did they have any signs of ich? Did you use any medication? There is a reason all 5 of them died, but there's too many possible variables for us to make any conclusions.

My two first thoughts where the temp shot up too quickly and they couldn't handle it or there was a lack of oxygen. (higher the temp the less oxygen the water holds.) But as said above, there are too many variables to give a definite answer.

Thanks so much for you're input guys great things to consider. Here's what I did, I raised the heat over the course of 12 hrs. I have an airtime with two outputs for it and turned it up to full. Just one thing of you have time, when the ich is off of the fish at what rate do I lower the temperature ? Over 12 hrs or should I take a little slower this time?

Airtime , stupid auto correct ! Air stone ;)

The heat increase may have been too fast. It's also possible the Ich killed them, it's hard to say for sure. Generally treating Ich takes at least a couple of weeks. When it's done I"d lower the temp more slowly; 1-2 degrees every 8-12 hours.

Back
Top Bottom