HELP! Agressive fish problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickb504

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok. So I set up my new freshwater tank a few days ago & I took all the mandatory steps toward starting a healthy tank. I just recently purchased my fish that I plan on keeping for awhile; I like & enjoy cichlids so I chose a Texas Cichlid & a Jack Dempsey, my problem is the Texas is constantly messing with the JD & idk what to do to get him to stop & I dont have another tank or someone else to give him to, I dont want him to die.......HELP!

How big is your tank and do you have any caves or driftwood?

Even numbers is never a good thing with cichlids unless they are a pair. I've always had a problem keeping two cichlids from fighting, three is always easier. Is that the only fish you have in the tank?

I have a mature female JD and a blood parrot who live together well. But I hear Texas cichlids are especially aggressive.

These are all valid questions we have asked...

I will back mudraker up on that the Texas cichlid is extremely aggressive. The only fish I would recommend keeping with it are large cichlids plecos and large odd balls. Is the Texas bigger then the jack Dempsey and how big is ur tank 75 gal is a minimum for the texas cichlid alone. I would imagine to house the 2 fish together well you will need to have lots of open swimming space and some caves for fish to take refuge in a tank at least 125 gal

Back
Top Bottom