Help! I just noticed my fish have ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geomd1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small freshwater tank with neons, a couple of platy's, ghost shrimp and a small pleco. Last night I noticed that my fish several of the fish have white spots on them. I'm certain that it is ich disease. Would like some recommendations on how to treat and irradiate the problem. Thanks!

I have never personally dealt with ich- but alot of people on here suggest raising the temp very slowly on your tank to kill the parasite.

Turn the temp in your tank up to 86 degrees gradually. Go to your LFS and get APIs ich cure. Dose it as it says. When you don't notice anymore spots on them vacuum your gravel to get the cysts that have fallen off. Leave the temp in your tank at 86 for an additional week.

i did the heat and some aquarium salt all reading i did said that this is better then putting in meds cause fish already stressed and the med will make it harder for them to breath i did the heat & salt for ten days had my tank bout 84 after all spots on him went away

If you do do the salt method make sure it's aquarium salt for freshwater. They will have it at the LFS too. It takes a little longer and I have yet to try it but it is known to work as he stated.?

How much salt and how often? I have a 10 gallon tank....neons, pleco, ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom