Help I sucked up a Cory cat with my gravel vacuum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tosviolation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was doing my Bi weekly water change and I was vacuuming Tue substrate a little cause it had been awhile, and one of my corys swam over to investigate real fast ans got sucked up in it! I freaked out a little and pulled it out of the water to see if he would just fall out and he didn't. So not knowing what else to do I blew on the other end and he came out. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper and didn't move for about 5 minutes. Well after awhile I dropped in some pellets and he swam over and started rooting around with the other corys the way they do at feeding time. I was pretty relieved. I'm still worried tho cause his dorsal fin is split behind the main spine and he's got what looks like a scrape on the side of his head. He's swimming around now, albeit gingerly. Will the scrapes and bruises heal on their own or should I be pretty worried?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't worry, I've sucked up some fish too, wouldn't worry unless flesh was exposed or you saw blood

That's good to know. I try so hard to avoid them, but the corys are just so curious.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, even with blood or exposed flesh, fish will heal just fine with no special treatment beyond lots of pristine water (assuming they are healthy to begin with). I have had fish heal from traumatic injuries with nothing more than lots of extra wcs and a nutritious diet. Your cory will be as good as new before you even realize it. :)

They are ornery aren't they. I got the light turned out on them now so hopefully it'll be alright. I got another one that was abused by the lfs when I purchased them. The lady dropped him on the ground and then dropped it like 2 more times trying to pick it up. I got that one for free and thankfully he turned out ok lol. He's got kind of a club fin now but he swims around and roots around with the rest of them. I'll be sure to check on the one I injured in the morning and then maybe up my water changes for a couple days

It should be fine, I sucked one if my 3" Odessa's through a 3/4 tube, all the ya into the bucket! Tore a flap on her little face, week later, all healed up and hogging the food again. They are tough little buggers!

I am forever sucking the cories up, once my juvenile emerald was in the bucket when I realized he had stopped bothering the vacuum tube. He was fine too.
Keep your water very clean. He should be ok, but until he heals, he's more susceptible to disease and parasites (i.e. ich). So keep a close eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom