Help me decide, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay. I'm trying to decide which fish to get. I'm deciding between a school of Marbled Hatchetfish or a school of Threadfin Rainbowfish. Which would look better in a planted tank? My current stock includes:
5 Cory Cats
2 Panda Garra
7 Bentos Tetras
1 Ram

Also, my tank is a 30 gallon long (36 in. by 12 in.) Thanks for your input!

I'd definitely go for the rainbows. Furcata rainbows are another good option.

I would say the hatchets because they stay near the top of the tank most of the time and I think they will help to even out your "fish levels" more than the rainbows. You would have more fish at all levels.

Dwarf rainbows spend most of their time in the top strata too. Hatchets are no doubt very cool fish, but I guess I just prefer all the cool displays and funny mating behavior you'll see with the rainbows (check out YouTube for some neat vids of what it looks like). Hatchets spend much of their time quite still...

Edit:

Here's an example of spotted blue eye rainbows and their funny behavior (not my vid):http://youtu.be/ysasSw_1QV4

Just for the record I wouldn't recommend this particular rainbow species in a larger community tank (these guys belong in a nano or species tank), I just selected the vid to show what a dwarf rainbow group could be like.

I ended up getting 4 Threadfin Rainbowfish (2 males and 2 females). If they live and thrive, I will get a couple more.

Back
Top Bottom