Help needed with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Started ich treatment on last week Monday the heat and on Sunday after swing more ich !!!!!! I started salt as well its now Wednesday and I don't see a difference please help

Shane, relax.

As mentioned above, ich gets worse before it gets better.

Do NOT add anything else to your tank. The heat and the salt combined will usually do the trick.

You were asked how much salt you added.

Shane, remind me of what species you have. I know you have corys and they can't tolerate salt well.

For those species that can handle salt, the dosage is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. You're overdosing your tank with salt. You need to do a 50% water change and do not add more salt right now. Tomorrow, do another 50% water change and NO MORE SALT!

Where are all the other fish you had?

When you treat ich, unless this fish has never been in your main tank, you must treat the entire tank, even if you only see ich on one fish.

Still, you have overdosed. Please do a 50% water change right away.

When you do use salt, you must dissolve the salt in warm tank water in a cup. Then, you add the salt to the tank over a period of a few days to let the fish acclimate to it. Did you dump it all in that tank?

Ok the tank is filling up salt less he has some cuts from scratching and he is still lying there breathing heavily will I be able to bring him back he's my baby:(
Tanks fill

It may take him some time to recover from the toxic level of the salt. What is your temp at? Do you have an airstone in the tank?

It's probably a combination of things. If the temp is dropping to 86 at night, you don't want to have it higher during the day. I think that's what you're implying.

If he's been alone, what are the cuts from?

Back
Top Bottom