Help ---- new tank problems, cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrgoodwrench520

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are trying for the fourth attempt at having an aquarium.

We bought Aquariums for dummies, have searched the internet and talked to our local pet store and have gotten several different answers so now we are very confused.

We have been given a large tank and stand by friends add 400.00 in our own money to equipment hood and light, under gravel filter, power filter, pump, and heater.

Another friend gave us a Plecostomus that is about 14 inches he has some scales that are faded and is a concern could be normal we just don't know, a Dinosaur that is about 6 inches he is my favorite, and a snake looking thing that is about 2 inches. we added 3 Tiger barbs, 1 Knife, 2 Oscars, and another Dinosaur 4 days ago the tank was set up 11 days ago with just the first 3 fish.

So here is my concerns the water is a little milky or cloudy which may be normal part of the conditioning. on the 11th of June my reading where
P.H. 7.0
P.H. hi range 7.4
Ammonia 1.0 I added Ammo Lock and did about 15% water change but did not dechlorinate water.
Niterite 1.0
Niterate 5.0

Today took readings of
P.H. 6.4
P.H. hi range 7.4
Ammonia 8.0
Niterite 1.0
Niterate 10.0

You can see my concern now I see that staying away from chemicals is a good thing but not sure what to do and do not want to over react.

Also not sure where the temp. of tank should be right now we are at 74.8 F.

So please help

Welcome, again! I saw your PM so I figured I would post here also.

First off, what size is the tank? Second, I'm not sure what dinosaur fish are so I can't really help much there.

It sounds like your tank is still cycling. A fully cycled tank should have no ammonia or nitrites. What I would recommend is do a large (50%+) water change to get your readings back to a more suitable level. Ideally you want to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm. As you can tell, you are way above that limit.

Also, what are you using to test your water? Test strips or a liquid reagent kit? The test strips are, unfortunately, extremely inaccurate.

The temp seems fine to me. Typically mid to high 70s - low 80s max - is what people keep their tanks at.

I'm sure some others will be chiming in here shortly with more advice. Glad to have you here!

Thanks my friend said it was a 50 gallon tank but in my research I think it may be 60 gallon it measures 48 x 12 x 23.

Dinosaur fish looks kinda like an eel looking for official name is Senegal birchir.

Do I need to remove the fish to do a 50% water change and what about the chlorine? I typically use a python for draining and filling.

We use a liquid test kit.

Thanks again,

Do a large PWC (partial water change) with aged, dechlorinated water. I used Amquel in the past (when I had a FW tank). They now have Amquel+ which supposedly removes nitrite and nitrates too, though I'm not sure how.

Add the Stress Zyme now (in case it actually does anything. I wound really not do anything else. PWC's are your best friend right now till the bological filter gets established.

I have to use Stress coat to remove the chlorine right, or do I have the time to let the water dechlorinate naturally which I believe means to leave it in a bucket for 72 hours right?

Welcome to AA :)
First off IMO you are waaaaaay over stocked. Your tank needs to be cycled before adding any fish and you have way too many. Oscars need about 50 gallons to themselves when full grown so you should get rid of those. The bichirs are brackish water and I am not sure if they will do good in a FW tank.

Seachem's Prime is a great dechlorinater. A little bit of it goes a long way as well. I second the water change's daily, monitoring of levels with a liquid test kit ( it is 30$ here for API's master FW test kit but it is well worth the investment) and IMO you shouldn't use any chemicals. Good luck! I hope all goes well for you :)

Thanks for the info I do not have any Seachem prime can order it but can not wait so I will do water change and use the Stress coat to dechlorinate and keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck! Do you live by a Petsmart? They have it there. I bought a tiny bottle for like 5$ that will last me forever, but I am only using it for my 10G right now. They do have bigger bottles but it is another thing that is worth the investment. You can just leave the water out for a while too.

Oh and I see that you do have a liquid test kit, sorry I skimmed the thread lol

you dont want to order it as you need it yesterday. It is too late to worry about stocking, just try to keep everyone alive now. Keep doing water changes.

If you use the python, add the prime before you add the water back in. I always use more than I need, mostly because you may have chloramine rather than chlorine and it takes twice as much prime to offset.

Do not do any more amquel or any other ammonia remover as you will upset the cycle (look in Cmor's sig).

Please dont add any more fish until you reasearch them and your tank is fully cycled. dont be surprised if you find that your Oscars have eaten your other fish.

good luck and keep us posted.

Help

Ok I have done a 30% water change added 10 ml of Stress coat and 20 ml of Stress Zyme. I know now we made a mistake in adding more fish ( such Rookies)
We will keep everyone up to date.
Thanks for all the advice love the site.
Oh yeah we found a real Aquarium store locally so we will not be returning to that chain store for anymore advice.

Just be wary of any store, I know there are reputable ones out there but a lot of the time people will just try to sell you stuff that you don't need. I always test them by asking a question about something I already know and seeing what they say or try to sell me. If they pass then they gain my trust, if not I don't go back! lol.

update day 12 of cycle

O.K. so I did a 30% water change yesterday and will be feeding every other day.

Here are today's readings,
P.H. 6.6
P.H. hi range 7.4
Ammonia 4.0
Niterite 1.0
Niterate 10

compared to yesterday Ammonia is 1/2 but still way to high could this be the spike or should I do another water change today?

P.H. 6.4
P.H. hi range 7.4
Ammonia 8.0
Niterite 1.0
Niterate 10.0

you should be doing PWCs daily. your ammonia is way too high right now for fish. anything above .25 is highly toxic and will burn their gills. you should be performing water changes everyday or more than that if needed to keep levels below .25ppm. i agree that you are way overstocked, you may think about returning the oscars. first of all, that tank will only comfortably home one oscar on it's own, and when they are fully grown they will probably eat all of your other fish anyway. senegal bichirs are brackish fish, so you may think about returning those as well. unless you want to make your tank a brackish tank, in which case you'd have to get rid of all the other fish instead. up to you, i don't know a ton about them, they may survive in freshwater, but i'm sure they'd be happiest in true brackish water.

keep doing water changes like there is no tomorrow. keep ammonia AND nitrIte levels below .25ppm at all times. your fish will thank you! :)

keep doing water changes like there is no tomorrow. keep ammonia AND nitrIte levels below .25ppm at all times. your fish will thank you! :)

+1. I am glad that the levels are cut in half but that is still waaaay high and as long as you keep up on your water changes then you should be able to get them down.

update day 15 of cycle

ok here are readings from the last 2 days

Day 14

P.H. 6.4
P.H hi 7.4
Ammonia 0
NiterIte 1.0
NiterAte 5.0

Day 15

P.H. 6.0
P.H. hi 7.4
Ammonia 2.0
NiterIte 1.0
NiterAte 5.0

So I am considering another PWC due to Ammonia level but for some reason I have it stuck in my head that during the cycling period there is supposed to be a spike in ammonia level and a PWC maybe harmful to the conditioning process.

I know you have told me to keep the Ammonia level under .25 please advise.

Thanks again

O.K. I have been reading posts and I know I have been advised to keep ammonia and niterite below .25 ppm. where I am not clear is maintaining these levels going to interfere with the cycling process and do more damage that way I just want to be certain.

I am very grateful for your time reading this posts and do appreciate your advice.

I am so concerned about being successful with this tank despite our rookie blunders.

Duh??

O.K. I have now found my answer and see that I have been misinformed water changes do not harm your cycle.

I would never had to figure this out with out this forum so thanks to all of you whom have been patient with me.

Our fish thank you also.

Back
Top Bottom