Help please! Unexplained fish deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any visible signs on the other fish? What were the 6 fish that you lost?

Dangerismymiddlename said:
I know this is kind of a dumb question but just to cover all the bases: are you using a declorinator like prime or start right?
Also, what kind of filtration/ aeration are you using?
Do the fish seem lethargic?

I use water from an r/o unit ph 7.0

Sent from my iPhone

Mr. Limpet said:
Lots use and recommend Prime (I do anyways). As for your tank set up, it sounds great IMHO. Have you tested your water with a liquid kit yet?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I tested my water today. Nitrate 5ppm ammonia 0ppm ph 7.0 nitrite 0

Sent from my iPhone

You seem to have a lot of bottom dwellers. Do you have enough aeration for them? Higher temperatures result in lower oxygen levels in the water.

Luna112 said:
I use water from an r/o unit ph 7.0

Sent from my iPhone

If you're using an RO unit for FW, are your using something to replenish the nutrients? I ask only because I'm looking at going with RO because of a hard water issue and was told I need to use something to lock in the pH and something to replenish vital nutrients that RO removes. Hope someone confirms/corrects this, but that may be something to check out.

Viper said:
You seem to have a lot of bottom dwellers. Do you have enough aeration for them? Higher temperatures result in lower oxygen levels in the water.

I have a really big airstone

Sent from my iPhone

Mr. Limpet said:
If you're using an RO unit for FW, are your using something to replenish the nutrients? I ask only because I'm looking at going with RO because of a hard water issue and was told I need to use something to lock in the pH and something to replenish vital nutrients that RO removes. Hope someone confirms/corrects this, but that may be something to check out.

This is a great question, my understanding is that when you use only RO water, you don't need to use prime or a dechlorinator, but there is a risk, the lack of natural minerals in the RO water can create a unbalance in how the fish interchange electrolytes through their skin, something like that.

The bottom line is that some people recommend to add salts to the RO water to avoid this issue.

Maybe this is what is happening to your tank, because your water parameters are perfect.

ejaramillo01 said:
This is a great question, my understanding is that when you use only RO water, you don't need to use prime or a dechlorinator, but there is a risk, the lack of natural minerals in the RO water can create a unbalance in how the fish interchange electrolytes through their skin, something like that.

The bottom line is that some people recommend to add salts to the RO water to avoid this issue.

Maybe this is what is happening to your tank, because your water parameters are perfect.

Here's what I'm looking at using with RO water.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Replenish.html

How's your pH stability? That was someting else I was told to consider, since all the buffers are removed and pH can fluctuate. That's really hard on any fish.

I'm sorry to hear about your fish, Luna. :(

From what you stated, your tank has been setup for 4 months. When you got your fish, did you introduce a few at a time? Did you use a QT before introducing them?

It just sounds like you accumulated a pretty good size stock of fish in such a short time. What did you end up doing w/ your Red Tail Shark? If he was young, it's highly unlikely that he had bullied the others to the point where they would expire.

I'm sorry ur fish are dying. I would agree with more oxygen. Not big stone but bigger pump. And I'd look into the nutrients--dont know if that's probable but it sounds right.. check it out. Look forward to hearing how it works out for u.

Mr. Limpet said:
Here's what I'm looking at using with RO water.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Replenish.html

How's your pH stability? That was someting else I was told to consider, since all the buffers are removed and pH can fluctuate. That's really hard on any fish.

That's interesting. I'll be checking into that. Thank you. I've never bought of that. The reason I don't use salt in my tank is because if my bgk. I put a tiny bit of aquarium salt one time, and he spazzed out.

Sent from my iPhone

turtle granny said:
I'm sorry ur fish are dying. I would agree with more oxygen. Not big stone but bigger pump. And I'd look into the nutrients--dont know if that's probable but it sounds right.. check it out. Look forward to hearing how it works out for u.

The pump I have is for 50 gallons. I need a bigger one?

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom