Help we are moving in 3 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now we have 4 tanks that we are taking with us.........Boy am I scared!

Here is my plan please feel free to add or change anything we dont want to lose ANY fish....
plan on getting 2 coolers was thinking the styrfoam SP? ones? ......then was going to drain some water from the 55 gal in to one take the fish out and put them in the cooler, I have batery power air things...drain some more water into the other cooler and in there put the rocks, gravel and decos and filter media......then with the python drain the rest in to the sink take the tank and fish to my new home (its about 20 minutes away) fill the tank with the python add prime hook up filter and heater then add fish in the water from the cooler, or should I just add fish and not the water?.....then pray
wink.gif

then come home and do the same with my 29 gal goldfish tank.........
then my 10 gal and 2.5 betta tank was thinking of just draining 1/2 the water and take them with the tank without moving them????.....can you tell I am so very scared?

Only moving 20 minutes isn't a big deal. I wouldn't even use a cooler, just a bucket. Last year I did this (20 minute move) for 3 tanks.

When you get to your new place, just put your heater and an airstone in the buckets. If you have plants (fake or real), put them in the bucket too (gives fish hiding space, lowers their stress level). Fill up the new tank and get the temperature right, then you'll want to acclimate the fish for 2 reasons. 1) they will be a bit stressed and a water parameter change will shock them even more 2) the pH/kH of your new place's water supply may be different. If they're in buckets, use a cup to remove most of the water, then start a drip line from the new tank. Let that go until you at least double the water volume in the bucket.

For the smaller tanks, I agree - just remove however much water and move the tanks, those aren't a big deal.

Oh, when filling the new tank, if you're going to try to save the bacteria on the substrate, etc, you can't let non-dechlorinated water hit them, it will kill it. personally I think that's overkill. Save the filter media in a ziploc bag of tank water, and add it last to the new tank, and you'll be okay, especially if it's got some age to it. Definately don't change it out between now and then.

Only moving 20 minutes isn't a big deal. I wouldn't even use a cooler, just a bucket. Last year I did this (20 minute move) for 3 tanks.

When you get to your new place, just put your heater and an airstone in the buckets. If you have plants (fake or real), put them in the bucket too (gives fish hiding space, lowers their stress level). Fill up the new tank and get the temperature right, then you'll want to acclimate the fish for 2 reasons. 1) they will be a bit stressed and a water parameter change will shock them even more 2) the pH/kH of your new place's water supply may be different. If they're in buckets, use a cup to remove most of the water, then start a drip line from the new tank. Let that go until you at least double the water volume in the bucket.

For the smaller tanks, I agree - just remove however much water and move the tanks, those aren't a big deal.

Yes its about 20 min. to an 1/2 hr.....but they will be out of the tank for at least an hour to 1 1/2 hr.....cause have to drain the tank and set it up and get the temp good.......thats why was thinking of the coolers you know the throw away kind styrfoam kind. to keep them at a stedy temp

Oh, when filling the new tank, if you're going to try to save the bacteria on the substrate, etc, you can't let non-dechlorinated water hit them, it will kill it. personally I think that's overkill. Save the filter media in a ziploc bag of tank water, and add it last to the new tank, and you'll be okay, especially if it's got some age to it. Definately don't change it out between now and then.

ohhh ok was gonna change it this wed. so that it will be kind of old by the time we move.......I have not changed the media in over a month....hope thats ok:confused:

I see what you mean. What I did was put water in the bucket, fish in the bucket with some plants, then I dropped the heater and the airstone from the tank into the bucket while I was working. When ready, pack up, move, then at the new place put heater and airstone back in. So that the only time the fish are without heat/air is during the actual moving process, not the teardown and setup process.

Yes, as long as your filter isn't clogged so bad it won't flow not changing it should be fine. I never change my pads, just rinse them in tank water every month or 3.

ok cool yes I feel safer letting them in the cooler and using the battery air while im tearing the tank down and setting it up, ...but thinking the bucket thing might work... but will it not melt with the heat of the heater?? thats why the cooler I think might be better, so the water temp should be ok for an hour or so right?

For an hour inside a house I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, the heaters don't get that hot, definately not hot enough to melt plastic.

I am not sure I would use disposable coolers .... They are pretty fragile & might break with the weight of the water when moved. I would use a "real" cooler (they are not that much more) or at least put the disposable coolers into a tight fitting cardbox box & handle the box & not the cooler.

But I would agree that buckets would work just fine! <Esp. since you don't live in Canada ... here we must use coolers or the fish will freeze! :) >

Yea I live in Fl, so it might go down a % or 2..I keep the tank at 79.......so maybe I will use buckets......and thank you all!!!!

Back
Top Bottom