Help With Algre Growing in tan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amatharu147

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

i didnt know where to post this, but i have a 30 gal tank, been running for about 3 years now, on my 2nd batch of fish. and over the last month a dark, greenish black algra growing on everything! it is very think and my Algre eater isnt doing a great job,. I have to scrub of the algra on a week. any sugguestions on what it could be? Temp is about 78 just have some 6 dino and a silver molly and a Placo. All the PH level nitrates are in normal and even add salt to the tank. any help?

Sounds like Cyanobacteria. The black out method should work well. First, remove as much of the alage by hand as you can, then wrap your tank with some blankets for a few days, no food, no light, no nothing. Just let it sit. Do about a 30 - 40 percet water change before and after. You should see it dissapear soon after.

Sounds like the Cyanobacteria to me too. I just finished a battle with this stuff that lasted 6 months.

The guy at the lfs sold me a chemical called CHEMI-CLEAN made by Boyd Enterprises INC. It is sold for salt water tanks but works just as well in freshwater.
It took 4 treatments (one treatment every 48 hours) to kill the Bluegreen variety in my tank. Put floss in your filters. after a few days you will see the filters gather the dieing Cyano. Rinse the floss out every few days to get rid of the stuff. 48 hours after the 4th treatment I scrapped the glass clean. Waited an hour for the junk to settle out then did a 50% water change. Really vaccumed the gravel well. Used the change water to scrub the plastic plants and rocks. You must clean the filters as well. Put new media in. When you fill the filters with media be sure to use Carbon or Charcoal. The lfs guy said that maybe something in my water caused this and to use carbon to purify the water. In the past I never used the stuff.
This was 3 weeks ago and there is no sign of the bluegreen junk coming back.

hope this can be of help to people battling this gunk.

Back
Top Bottom