Help With Broken Tank.. SOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing a PWC awhile ago on my 55gal tank and the plastic "T" bar (not sure of the name) that is on the top of the tank in the middle is broke into. How dangerous is this? Do I need to go out and get another tank immediately?

Thanks for your help!!

I'm no expert, but the plastic T-bar on my 55g isn't strong enough to do anything substantial in terms of holding the tank "together".

The only useful thing I see it doing is holding up my two seperate covers. I wouldn't think it would be an emergency at all. I'm sure someone will a little more confidence will come along eventually and tell you for sure - but thats my two cents.

:)

When I bought my 55 gal tank, the instructions on it said that if the middle brace was cracked or broken, not to use it. This was printed on the papers that came with the tank.

the middle support does infact add to the strucual integrity of the tank.
it ads in supporting the side loads of the water pressure pushing against the front and back of the tank.

i personally would lower the water level until i could find a replacement or find a way to repair it.

That brace doesn't have a lot of torsional strength (can't take a lot of twisting or sideways pressure), but it has a lot of linear strength (i.e. pulling it like taffy won't break it). That keeps the long sides of your tank from bowing out, and relieves a lot of pressure on the end seams. It is necessary. You can either order a replacement top frame from your LFS, or build a DIY brace by siliconing a piece of 3-4" wide glass where the brace used to be. Meanwhile, you would be well advised to lower the water level in your tank substantially (30-50%) until you can get that support replaced.

Look at it from this perspective - with all the cost cutting that goes on in every industry, do you really think that the tank maker would go to the expense of adding that brace if it wasn't necessary?

I have now drained my tank down about 50% and I will go and get a replacement tomorrow... Sounds like a fun filled day ahead.....

Thanks for everyone's input.

Yes you should get a rep. IMO. It shouldn't be that bad.

Let us know

I just finished a couple of hours ago with my tank switch out. I did loose a few fish along the way. :( I was able to keep my filter media in the old water and my gravel stayed wet the entire time. So now I'm just looking for a mini cycle and hopes that is all that I will have.

The only problem that I have is the tank that I purchased was a 55 gallon Marineland from Petsmart. They had them on sale for 99.00. The tank included plastic hoods/lights that I'm not going to use but the problem that I had is when I went to put my glass tops from the old tank on the new tank, the glass tops are about 1/4 inch to wide. I guess I'm going to have to find someone to cut the tops down for me. Any ideas on where to take it?

They shouldn't be tempered so any hardware store or shop that sells glass will be able to cut them or make you replacements.

It may be easier to just order ones that are mad to fit. Glass tops are not generally that much unless you have an odd shaped aquarium

i just had a 40 gal. cross bar split apart in the middle after filling it up ( i got it at a garage sale cheap). would siliconing glass on both sides of the t-bar be the best solution? what would be the cheapest? ha.

the tank is empty and i'm not going to fill it with anything until i fix this problem (not to mention build my stand).

Thanks!

I was able to get a 55 gallon at PetSmart for 99.00. It was not worth the hassle to me to try and order a replacement top for the tank and then to have to worry about the seals.

You should be able to order a replacement brace for the top of the tank. I would not risk trying to repair the broken one with silicon or glue...etc

nah, get apiece of 1/4" glass the exact width (front to back) of the tank & silicone it directly to your front & back glass. Go to the DIY forum & look at a DIY tank sticky & copy the cross bar part.

OTOH, a cross brace is not absolutely necessary in tanks less than 48". Fill it up & measure how much bow the glass has, if it is less than 1/8", you can probably skip the repair .... although I'll prob do it just so I can sleep at night.

thanks for the input. i think i will just DIY a brace. my tank is only 38" i believe.

Back
Top Bottom