Help with choosing a centerpeice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting to slowly stock my tank, right now I have 2 cory cats eating up all the diatom gunk that built up during the cycle. The tank is a 40 gal tall. I would really like to keep some GBR's, Cockatoo cichlids, or Kribensis. I would like to have one or two bigger fish to make a centerpeice for the tank. As it is going to be a community tank, I guess most med/large cichlids are out. are there any that grow to be 6-7" in length that dont get wildly aggressive? The tank will also be fairly heavily planted, so there will be lots of hiding places for smaller fish, but at the same time, I dont want something that will completely destroy my plants.

anyone got some ideas for me to look into?

Thanks

Well, I don't know a thing about cichlids, but maybe a couple of larger gouramis might make a nice centrepiece. I am kind of going through the same dilemma right now though!

How about a couple angels? They are very pretty, VERY personable, do well in planted tanks and they get to be a decent size. You could still do the gbr's or cockatoo's and have room for a school of tetras too.

It has been a while since I have done a FW setup, but I was always found of angels or the green sevurm.

I use to keep both with blue rams in a planted tank.

I agree with the other recommendations for angelfish. A 40 gallon tall tank would be perfect for a pair along with some rams, apistos and a few of the larger tetras (angels eat neons for breakfast, lunch and dinner).

A friend of mine tried cribs in a similar tank, they tore his other fish to pieces. They would ram other fish in the side and practically break them in half. GBR's a great but small. I have a dwarf gourami and they look great. There are many different types of gouramis that would do great in your type of tank. Here's what I have:

1 Dwarf Gourami
8 Rasboras
2 swordtails (1 male)
1 rainbow shark
1 GBR (very cool))
1 bristlenose pleco
2 south america bumblebee cats
1 african dwarf frog
2 neon tetras 9(tried a couple of times to get a school, always lose them excect for these two guys)

My rainbow shark is somewhat the center piece, he goes everywhere and is incredibly active. My GBR is unbelievable, I can't believe how cool and colorful they are. I am waiting for my LFS to get a some in so I can get a pair.

Good luck. Depending on the color of your substrate and other fish, gold or blue gouramis look great. Also, I pair of pink kisssers would be fun to watch.

One final thought on the kribs, they are awesome fish, but they can do some serious damage. I am looking and a separate tank for some cichlids as well.

Am I correct in assuming GBR = German Blue Ram?

If so I concur with above as they are probably my favorite dwarf cichlid.

Suggested list:

2-3 Angels
2-4 Rams (pair ideally)
Apistos ?
cory cats
6-10 cardinal tetras (angels will not eat like neons)

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom