Hey new to the forum =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoBo_R3pTaR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started keeping fish and I'm already in love with it. Just wanted to know if I've over stocked my tank. It's ten gallons and so far I have 6 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, and a spotted Raphael catfish. Thanks for your responses.

Attachments

• image-156686255.jpg
    image-156686255.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
doesnt sound to overstocked, which should be okay. what kind of filter do you have and why dont you have the tank fully filled?

The catfish will get around 20cm long so i would suggest when the catfish gets a little too big then replace him with some Corydoras, look at my signiture for the care of the Bronze Corydoras.

Welcome to AA!
You tank does sound over-stocked (Which you already know). I would recommend getting rid of the Striped Rapheal catfish (Can get around 9 inches) and replacing them with ghost shrimp (I disagree with Jason the the corydora suggest. Really, In my opinion they are too active for a footprint of a 10 gallon. I would recommend them in tank only 20 gallons or more).

I would also recommend getting rid of the zebra danios. They are too active for a 10 gallon In My opinion.

Once they are out, you could consider adding more cherry barbs (Make sure to use the 1 male to every 2 female ratio <- This will leave the aggression to the minimum.)

enjoy the forum

How long has the tank been established? Did you cycle the tank prior to adding fish? Are you testing your water parameters?

fort384 said:
How long has the tank been established? Did you cycle the tank prior to adding fish? Are you testing your water parameters?

Yea it's completely cycled. I usually test it after each water change.

tyspot1000 said:
Welcome to AA!
You tank does sound over-stocked (Which you already know). I would recommend getting rid of the Striped Rapheal catfish (Can get around 9 inches) and replacing them with ghost shrimp (I disagree with Jason the the corydora suggest. Really, In my opinion they are too active for a footprint of a 10 gallon. I would recommend them in tank only 20 gallons or more).

I would also recommend getting rid of the zebra danios. They are too active for a 10 gallon In My opinion.

Once they are out, you could consider adding more cherry barbs (Make sure to use the 1 male to every 2 female ratio <- This will leave the aggression to the minimum.)

enjoy the forum

I was planning on getting a 20 gallon soon. Would that be ok to put my Raphael catfish in?

I was planning on getting a 20 gallon soon. Would that be ok to put my Raphael catfish in?

At the maximum size of 9" you would be looking at a tank of at least 60 gallons and I would still consider that small. You have to take into consideration not only the size of the fish but the room it needs to thrive/swim.

I'd say it depends on how large your Raphael cat is now and how attached to it you are. They're beautiful fish that can live for an extremely long time and would probably be fine in a 30 gallon if he was solo or had another smallish friend he wouldn't be tempted into eating.
How big is your Raph now, out of curiosity?

Back
Top Bottom