High nitrite and ammonia !!!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
PH 7.2

My ammonia and nitrite is high! Please help! What do I do ?!

image-3851754838.jpg

Holy Cow thats high, ive never gotten that high. If you have fish inside, do an immediate 50% water change! Wait an hour or half an hour. Change another 20% if its still high and it should really go down!

Holy Cow thats high, ive never gotten that high. If you have fish inside, do an immediate 50% water change! Wait an hour or half an hour. Change another 20% if its still high and it should really go down!

Good advice ^^^^

I was just wanting to know if it was fish in it out. If out then no worried let it be for now.

Fish in cycle. Very small tank, only 2.5 gallon. I use it as a nursery.
Oh wow, you're fish must be very hardy. Change the water immediately before any damage is done. If you didn't already change the water, you're fish might have been slightly burned by ammonia or nitrite. Just keep changing the water not to risk it!

I just did a 50% Change. Meantime, I check my parameters in my 26 gallon and they were all perfect, would u suggest adding some water from my 26 into my 2.5 in about an hour then test it again and see how things look?

I would suggest taking direct tap water(Dechlorinated) just to make sure you get pure. Its you're choice but i would take tap.

Oh wow, you're fish must be very hardy. Change the water immediately before any damage is done. If you didn't already change the water, you're fish might have been slightly burned by ammonia or nitrite. Just keep changing the water not to risk it!

Must be, I just got the master test kit today so I didn't know my parameters were all so high. There is baby fry in there right now, I hope they survive ! They've been in it for 6 days now though and I only did 2 water changes in those 6 days until now so hopefully I'm making it better. The fish don't seem sick or dying tho? All 21 are still alive from when they were first born.

Must be, I just got the master test kit today so I didn't know my parameters were all so high. There is baby fry in there right now, I hope they survive ! They've been in it for 6 days now though and I only did 2 water changes in those 6 days until now so hopefully I'm making it better. The fish don't seem sick or dying tho? All 21 are still alive from when they were first born.
Good to hear! Just take good care of them during this period to make sure they aren't ill.

Ill keep u updated, and ill post the parameters again for the 2.5 gallon in about and hour once i do a 25% change.

What's in there for a filter? What type of fish? It might be a good idea to do a daily water change of 50% until they come down and stabilize. Was this a new tank? Or put in an established filter or media?

You may want to test your tap water as well. After a rather large water change i noticed the ammonia in an already cycled tank was not zero (0.25). After ruling out dead fish or killing my bio filter I decided to check my tap water and got (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) 1.0 / 0 / 10. Ugh!

You may want to test your tap water as well. After a rather large water change i noticed the ammonia in an already cycled tank was not zero (0.25). After ruling out dead fish or killing my bio filter I decided to check my tap water and got (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) 1.0 / 0 / 10. Ugh!

Agreed. If this is the case Seachem Prime is a good conditioner to use.

What's in there for a filter? What type of fish? It might be a good idea to do a daily water change of 50% until they come down and stabilize. Was this a new tank? Or put in an established filter or media?

It's a 2.5 gallon Aqueon tank and the filter is just the one that came with it. I have 2 molly fry in there along with 21 Platy fry and 2 couple Month old albino catfish. I'm gonna start doing the 50% water changes for sure! And yes it's a new tank. I've had it for 6 days.

Ill eventually move the fry into a bigger tank once they grew this one out(which will be rather quickly) so no problem on size.

My tap parameters are:

PH 7.2-7.6 (couldn't quite tell)
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

My tap water is fine right?

Here's a pic of the little nursery if you were wondering what it looks like.

image-1699513947.jpg

2 mollies 21 baby platy and 2 albino Cory's? That could be why the readings are so high. The bio load is too big for the filter and tank

Back
Top Bottom