How long will tannins be present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have 2 pieces of driftwood in a 29 gallon. I didn't know to boil prior to sticking them in the tank. When I WC, water is "weak tea color" although the water seems clear in the tank.

How long will these tannins continue to come out of the DW? Also, are tannins harmful to plants?

it depends on the type of wood that you have. and tannins are completely harmless to fish and plants

Pull them out and boil them, changing water in the pot every time you get tea stained water, then keep boiling until you only get weak tea stained water off of a boil, you should be good then. I boiled mine for about 12 hours after soaking it in a bucket for 2 weeks

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tannins are actually good for the fish. It's a natural way of getting the lower pH that they would have in their native habitat, and it even has antibacterial properties. Although some think it is unsightly to look at in a tank.
If you don't even notice it in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it. Your fish might thank you! :)

Thanks for the info. I have attached anubias to the driftwood so taking it out and boiling it would be a bit more deconstruction than I care to do.

I am glad to know that there are actually some beneficial properties.

Back
Top Bottom