how many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have a 150 liter tank with to be on the safe side 40 guppies and 5 neon tetra. Most of the guppies are babies. Would I be able to purchase 6 more tetra? Is it one inch of fish to one gallon or one liter?

Thanks in advance

Fei

1 inch of fish per gallon, but this is just a ballbark rule, not an exact science. In a new aquarium with basic equiptment you want to stay well below that. In a mature aquarium that is overfiltered and has live plants, you can exceed it.

How long has this tank been set up? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have live plants or any other special way to transport nutrients out of the water?

What will you be doing with the baby guppies? They will continue to multiply.

1 inch of fish per gallon, but this is just a ballbark rule, not an exact science. In a new aquarium with basic equiptment you want to stay well below that. In a mature aquarium that is overfiltered and has live plants, you can exceed it.

How long has this tank been set up? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have live plants or any other special way to transport nutrients out of the water?

What will you be doing with the baby guppies? They will continue to multiply.

Sorry forgot to mention that. I have a tetra ex700 filter and about 15 Java plants attached to bog wood and some Java moss. If the guppy babies get out of hand I know my Aquatics shop will take them. The tank and filter are 6 months old.

I think you could add 6 more neons, you will want to start going on guppy control once the youngsters get some size on them.

Back
Top Bottom