How many fish can I add at one time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon with 1 grown neon tetra. I added 6 babies 2 days ago. 2 died, I'm down to 5 total tetras. My son convinced me to get an ADF. Added him yesterday. So I would like to add a school of rummy nose tetra and glofish (6 each). When would it be safe to add one of these schools of fish? It's an established, lightly planted, tank. Water parameters are all good, except high ph- beyond my control.

The tank is just boring right now. :)

I think the general rule for a tank that size would be 5-6 at a time and then wait a week before adding more. This will give the BB time to grow and compensate for the added bio-load.

If I could suggest... Why not try and have a larger school of a single species instead of the minimum amount of three different species? You may see more natural, active behavior.

I may try that. Maybe drop to 2 schools but larger schools. I need a centerpiece fish (rather, I want one). I was going to do my betta, but I think the glofish danios are too nippy. Possibly a balloon molly?

Adding Fish

I have a 20 gallon with 1 grown neon tetra. I added 6 babies 2 days ago. 2 died, I'm down to 5 total tetras. My son convinced me to get an ADF. Added him yesterday. So I would like to add a school of rummy nose tetra and glofish (6 each). When would it be safe to add one of these schools of fish? It's an established, lightly planted, tank. Water parameters are all good, except high ph- beyond my control.

The tank is just boring right now. :)

Hello mom...

A 20 gallon tank is pretty small. In order to maintain good water conditions, you should add just a few , small fish and add them slowly. This way the good bacteria that helps keep the water clear of toxins is able to keep up with the added fish waste.

You'll need to remove and replace half the tank water every week, so the fish live in water free of dissolved waste. I would add a few stems of Hornwort too. This is a floating plant that uses dissolved fish waste for food and keeps the water cleaner between water changes.

Attached is a pic of a 20 gallon with the floating plant. The more floating plants, the better the water conditions for the fish.

As for pH, don't worry about it. Just keep the water clean by changing a lot of if and do this weekly.

B

img_3017917_0_a717f987684c3109ebea6dbfe7ed231c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom