How many Honey Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really want more honey gourami and the one I own lost his girlfriend approximately one month ago. Should I get 2 females so it's a 2:1 ratio? I currently have a 55 gallon column style tank and my stock includes :
4 otocinclus
1 keyhole cichlid (adult)
4 angelicus botia (adult)
6 panda corydora
1 honey gourami

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey does anyone have any advice out there?

If you're going to get more yes you'd need females, 2:1 is a safe start. However he may not end up liking them too much, you'll just have to wait and see.
You could see some aggression in the beginning but he will probably warm up to them. When I had my pearl gouramis I added them all at once (2:1 m/f) so I don't know exactly how he'll react.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're going to get more yes you'd need females, 2:1 is a safe start. However he may not end up liking them too much, you'll just have to wait and see.
You could see some aggression in the beginning but he will probably warm up to them. When I had my pearl gouramis I added them all at once (2:1 m/f) so I don't know exactly how he'll react.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what I'm worried about. I love them but don't really have any good ideas regarding what other kind of fish to get. I don't want any schooling fish. I am drawing a blank. I've always wanted bolivian rams but with my stock it probably won't work. Thanks for responding!

Your stock sounds alright to add a Bolivian, except for the botia. I've never had one, but hear they can be aggressive. Bolivians are pretty easy going and get along with just about anyone that is not aggressive with them. They are more likely to get picked on than to pick on someone else. I absolutely loved mine. He died of columnaris. I miss him so much that I don't think i could stand to get another.

Honey gourami like a harem situation. I had 7 in my tank, 6 females and one male. Actually to make 7 I bought 3 or 4 babies that were all supposed to be females. Everything was fine for a few

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice months, then one day one of the babies started chasing all the other fish in the tank. Turned out he was a male which meant I had 2 males in there. So the newer male now lives in a different tank with guppies and peace is restored. I think they are great little fish.

Your stock sounds alright to add a Bolivian, except for the botia. I've never had one, but hear they can be aggressive. Bolivians are pretty easy going and get along with just about anyone that is not aggressive with them. They are more likely to get picked on than to pick on someone else. I absolutely loved mine. He died of columnaris. I miss him so much that I don't think i could stand to get another.

My botia are just nosey, that's all. By the way read your profile. I'm a vet tech of 14 years it's a wonderful job! What made you retire?

Back
Top Bottom