How many otos should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryorgason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gal tank with 3 corys and 7 white clouds, and want to add otos next. What would be a good number? I have more than enough algae growth, and plan on getting them on Monday. I would like to add more fish later, a couple more corys and maybe a betta or something else, not sure what. Anyway, I want enough otos to reduce the algae considerably, but not so many that I can't add any more fish later on. Any suggestions?

Otos stay really small - less than 2 inches, so you easily get away with 3-5. Expect to lose a few during the first week - they are sometimes difficult to acclimate. :?
Also, be prepared to supplement their diet with algae wafers when they clean out your tank.

Part of the prob with otos is they don't handle the rough treatment during shipping well. The other big issue is they really need the algae; most QT tanks don't have algae buildups. Hopefully you already have algae in your main tank; if so, put some of the algae covered decor into the QT tank with the otos. If there is no algae in the main tank, I'd suggest waiting until there is before grabbing some otos.

Oh, and otos are funny. Some love brown algae and don't touch green. Others chow on green and won't eat brown. I haven't found any rhyme or reason to it LOL

I have 3 in my 28 gal. My LFS suggested 3-5 since I didn't have a big bioload at the time. It took them about 3-4 weeks to get my brown algae under control. Now I give them algae wafers a few times a week. It takes them a bit to find food, but they really chow down once they do.

Thanks for the advice! I actually have algae in both my 30 gal, and my quarantine tanks, although the quarantine one doesn't have a lot. I've been reading up on otos today, and a couple of sites mentioned that they need wood in the tank. What kind of wood do they need, and do I just get that at a pet store?

Wood, really? :?

I know plecos need wood in the tank - they need the lignin in their diet.

But I never heard of Otocinclus requiring it - maybe one of our resident catfish experts like RogerMcAllen could verify that.

I'm with QT. Haven't heard of otos needing wood. My LFS didn't mention it when I bought them... hmmm... Is it possible the site you read it from had mixed up otos with plecos? I went through a lot of confusion when I first read about otos - too many sites catch everything under the 'algae eater' umbrella.

Funny, I heard that too about the driftwood (that otos should have some), but I haven't seen anything scientifically proving either way. It looks nice... And I've heard it recommended for lowering your pH a bit...

I didn't realize otos were so small, I bet they would have been better for my 10 gallon with croaking gourami. I know who will be the cleaners in the chocolate gourami tank!
(there.... I get info and it gets kicked up for Roger)

ryor- not sure if this was already mentioned but i believe otos can starve to death easily. i put two into my puffer tank and one bit the dust before i knew this could be a problem... i don't think there was much algae for him to munch on at that poing =[ ... make sure you give them algae wafers if you're unsure about the amt of algae they will be able to get their hands on! otherwise, go wild! they are so cute and stay small... and control algae wonderfully !

... kind of a side note that's not really relevant. But I found that my otos have really really long spirally poop! Their poop is all over my tank, even more than my puffers and pleco! I don't know if this is normal, but i feel like they must add to my bioload a lot with their huge poop.

otos...

Wow, my ottos don't have "huge poop"... I'm not sure how normal that is. Maybe they are just really well fed. About the wood... I forget where it was but I heard/read the same thing. My ottos love the driftwood I have in my tank. It's fun to watch them on it too. I must be lucky because I've only had one otto die on me. I have five right now... it's fun to watch them when they sort of school together...

Heh, that is how I was sure mine are eating in QT....strings of poop (can't have output without input!). I wouldn't say huge comparedd to animl size...but frequent...like clockwork now. They must have been mere hours away from starvation when I bought them. I was never before so glad to see poop!
But it is stiff, visible, and easy to clean...

Prolly a good thing to do if you eat diatom algae...feed your food? :wink: Heh!

Back
Top Bottom