How many people only feed once a day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been doing this for a few months since starting my tank. My timer is setup to be on when I am home in the evening. This is when I feed them. All the fish seem pretty happy, but you read so much conflicting info on feeding!

Once a day when I work (lights on 11am to 10pm), twice a day when I am home and playing with them.

FW once a day is fine. Sometimes even every other day. It can really vary as long as you are consistent. I would not go longer than every other day. If you feed more often use smaller amounts. If food gets down to the substrate you are overfeeding.

Just remember the more you feed the more tank maintenance that is required i.e. pwc.

For me it depends on what I'm feeding.

The Tang only gets fed once a day because it has a feeding clip to graze on at any time.

The Firefish and Dwarf Puffer don't get fed as much, because the Firefish hunts copepods in the saltwater tank, and the Dwarf Puffer eats up all the snails in her tank.

Different fish have different needs.

I was feeding twice a day. When I decided to feed only once a day, it was really hard, because my Angel fish acts like he is STARVING. But he seems healthy. So I will continue with once a day.

I'm so harried getting out in the morning. I set the timer so that the lights are on from noon till 8 PM. I usually get home around 6:30 and one of the first things I do is feed the fish.

For full grown fish, every other day is fine.
Menagerie, do you advise against feeding a tank with juvies/adults every other day? Thanks.

Once a day...but I have a lot of catfish so I make sure I get the food down to the bottom...they keep my tank VERY clean

Once a day? Try every other day...

Mammals (like humans) are warm blooded and must keep their body temperature at a constant level, and therefore must eat frequently to satisfy the energy their bodies need to do this.

Since fish are cold blooded, they don't need to expel energy on body temperature regulation, so they require much less food than warm blooded animals.

"A hungry fish is a healthy fish."

(A starving fish on the other hand is a different story.)

czcz said:
Menagerie, do you advise against feeding a tank with juvies/adults every other day? Thanks.
Only if there is fry, will I feed everyday. If I am trying to encourage fish to bred, it's still every other day, but more protein for the female. The juvies get fed every other day with the adults.

Back
Top Bottom