How many Serpae tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I was planning on putting 7 tiger barbs, 4 sepae tetra and 1 rainbow shark (albino probably) in my "almost cycled" 29 gallon after it cycles.

In another thread there were suggestions that I would need at least 6 serpae tetras... is this right ? and if i get 6 serpaes in addition to 7 barbs and the shark , will my bioload be still ok ?

I personally think you'd be fine with four of them.

I bought eight black phantom tetras but after a bit of a miscalculation in tank compatibility :oops: I was left with only two. You'd think after watching six of their buddies become dinner for a much larger fish before being moved to a more friendly tank, they'd be pretty skittish. Not at all. The two of them buzz around the tank happy as can be, not the least bit shy. They definitely associate people with food because they'll come right up to the front of the tank when someone walks by.

Start out with four, and if you find they're hiding all the time or seem overly skittish, add a couple more. Two small fish like that won't make or break your bioload. Just keep up with your water changes.

That's my take. :wink:

I currently have 5 in a very peaceful tank. They don't tend to stay together in a school, but they do like some company, IMO.

IME, four serpaes will be fine. They will probably look great with the tiger barbs. Just keep in mind that both species tend to be a little scrappy and nippy, so try to get all the fish roughly the same size.

QTOFFER said:
IME, four serpaes will be fine. They will probably look great with the tiger barbs. Just keep in mind that both species tend to be a little scrappy and nippy, so try to get all the fish roughly the same size.
yep this tank will have just the barbs, serpaes and then 1 rainbow shark.
Will the shark be a problem ?

Back
Top Bottom