how much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Passatryde

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g with 5 neons, 5 rasbora, a pleco, two columbian tetras, 4 guppy and 3 shrimp... how much more can i add?

You could do a lot more of each of the fish you have or go for a few bigger fish, just depends on the type of fish your looking for, a lot of possibilities.

Passatryde said:
I have a 55g with 5 neons, 5 rasbora, a pleco, two columbian tetras, 4 guppy and 3 shrimp... how much more can i add?

If I were you do this:
8 neons
8 rasbora
6 columbian tetras
4 guppies
3 shrimp
What kind of pleco do you have?

You would still have room left over even with those numbers, but don't add to much at once or you could end up with a Mini Cycle. I have a Clown Pleco and a young Black Eye Bristlenose, in separate tanks.

Samzter said:
If I were you do this:
8 neons
8 rasbora
6 columbian tetras
4 guppies
3 shrimp
What kind of pleco do you have?

Its just your regular old common pleco. i was thinking rams or angelfish

If you upped all the numbers like stated above you could add a pair of Rams or one Angel.

vanimal said:
If you upped all the numbers like stated above you could add a pair of Rams or one Angel.

Why are you guys recommending i add more if the ones i have?

Passatryde said:
Why are you guys recommending i add more if the ones i have?

Btw im not trying to be a smarta@%... Im legitamitely asking. want to know the logic

By upping the number of the ones you have will make them happier and feel secure, you may want to rehome that pleco as it can get over a foot long. Why don't you get a bulldog or bristle nose pleco instead.

Samzter said:
By upping the number of the ones you have will make them happier and feel secure, you may want to rehome that pleco as it can get over a foot long. Why don't you get a bulldog or bristle nose pleco instead.

Yeah they're schooling fish and are happier in bigger groups+ they look better!

That pleco needs a 125 or more. Don't add anything until it's gone

Certain ones do. "Common" plecos get to be between 18 -24 inches. In anything smaller than a 75 gallon, they would not even be able to turn around. They also have a relatively larger bio load, and smaller tanks usually do not have enough algae for them to remain healthy. 125 gallons is going to at least guarantee that they have enough space to swim, that their waste is not going to become an issue, and that there is enough algae growing to at least keep them somewhat sated along with algae wafers and veggies.

Pit bull/rubber lip plecos, clown plecos, bristlenose... Off the top of my head, those three would make a much better selection for your sized tank.

emerald76 said:
That pleco needs a 125 or more. Don't add anything until it's gone

Ive been thinking when he gets big ill just put him in my pond...its like 400 gallon. what temperatures are they good in?

Back
Top Bottom