Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how on earth?

Hi I just found my zebra loach (dead) in this part of my filter

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130817_003408.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	192656

It is a new pump as the old one broke and I have no idea how it got in there.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Fish can get themselves in the darnest places and often die as a result of it. Sorry for the loss but loaches are so mobile and active and want to investigate anything they can get into so it somehow got into the filter and possibly died and ended up there. Hard to say for sure.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Fish can get themselves in the darnest places and often die as a result of it. Sorry for the loss but loaches are so mobile and active and want to investigate anything they can get into so it somehow got into the filter and possibly died and ended up there. Hard to say for sure.
Thanks itf was sort of wedged but the intake is covered in bars so only water can get through unless ge swam intonthe output
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Loaches are very inquistive and love to squeeze into tight spots. They will actively swim against a current too. So he might have got in via the output. Might want to cover it with something. Even the bars that come on, say an Aqua Clear filter intake, are not tight enough to keep out a small loach, and if you ever removed the uptake tube to clean it, he may have got in then.

I once found two loaches in my Aqua Clear, fortunately alive and well, having bypassed the impeller somehow. And a pair of Celestial pearl danios one time, also alive and well, under the media basket. I now have a big pond prefilter on the intake and the output comes over the weir, so they can't get in that way. If I'm cleaning a tube I turn off the filter.

Sorry for the loss. It's always disturbing to lose a fish this way.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
Loaches are very inquistive and love to squeeze into tight spots. They will actively swim against a current too. So he might have got in via the output. Might want to cover it with something. Even the bars that come on, say an Aqua Clear filter intake, are not tight enough to keep out a small loach, and if you ever removed the uptake tube to clean it, he may have got in then.

I once found two loaches in my Aqua Clear, fortunately alive and well, having bypassed the impeller somehow. And a pair of Celestial pearl danios one time, also alive and well, under the media basket. I now have a big pond prefilter on the intake and the output comes over the weir, so they can't get in that way. If I'm cleaning a tube I turn off the filter.

Sorry for the loss. It's always disturbing to lose a fish this way.
Thanks fishfur

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com