How to make items aquarium safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holmes529

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I want to make items aquarium safe. How can I do this? For instance. I have a Coca-Cola bottle I want to put in my tank but I don't want the paint to come off of it. What can I put over it to make it safe from rubbing off and safe for the fish? I also have a tiger statue (I'm a huge Clemson fan) that I want to put in a Clemson-themed tank. What can I do to seal it and keep the paint from coming off? Some places say epoxy, some say super glue, some even say silicone. What's the best way to go about making these items aquarium safe?

Epoxies can be great, but they usually don't stay up on vertical edges. Super glue will stay tacky until it's in contact with something else. Silicone is thick....

If you can find an epoxy that doesn't self level, I would go with that.

U need to buy things which are aquarium safe like available in pet stores. I would never put a coca cola bottle in an aquarium

If you can find a clear brush on epoxy paint that will do it. Apply 2 coats and let it cure for a few days....epoxy is what is used to seal up plywood aquariums so it's fish safe.

Krylon is aquarium safe and comes in clear...
Many reefers use it paint plumbing but all krylons are created equal I believe.

Would the Krylon protect the paint on the bottles and tiger statue?

Silicone should be 'aquarium silicone'. Double cure times before putting things in water... I fill a 5 gallon bucket full of water and submerge any items like that for a few days to allow any toxicity to seep out before putting it in my aquarium. I only use aquarium silicone to assemble things. That's just my preference though...

Back
Top Bottom