how to net fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigzmey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I been keeping fish for years but in small tanks. Now I have a 30 gal and have no clue how to catch a single given fish without uprooting all the plants and moving decorations? I have ~20 fish in the tank, but need to catch one tetra to move in a separate tank. Any tricks?

I have really good success by moving really slow with one net, and cornering them, if they stop, I stop, and slowly scoop them up. I have a red net and a green one, I have noticed better luck with the green though, maybe just dumb luck?

I dont use nets as they could tear up the fishes fins and scrap off some slime coat.

I know this sound dumb, but I catch my fish with my hands.
Tyler

Tyler I know nets can tear up your fish however, chasing them around the tank and stressing them out isnt much better. I also dont like using nets so I have a small plastic container i put into the tank and use the other net to move them into the container.

I use nets for most of my fish and Petsmart betta cups for my catfish that will get stuck in a net.

Briggsy is right. Net color does make a difference. Green or blue nets work better than white nets and coarse mesh nets are easier to use than fine mesh nets because they have lower resistance to movement in the water.

I actually prefer use a larger net when possible. The fish don't feel like they're being caught until they're already in the net. In my 29g where I have a very large piece of driftwood, I'll use a small white net to chase the fish into my large green net.

I just drain the water until there's about 1/2" left and then pick them up with tongs

I, too, use my hands. I do not, however, chase them around until they're too tired to go on. My fish come right up to my hands when Im working in the tank, so if I need to, I just put my hands around them and move them where I need to.

I feed my fish and when they're distracted eating, I come up behind them and catch them with the net. It brings most of my fish out of their hiding places and I usually end up scooping the food out at the same time, so it doesn't end up polluting the water either.

Try making the room as dark as you can then shine a bright light right at the fish your trying to catch and then just scoop them up. they cant see you coming.

Back
Top Bottom