How to seed a NEW filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaxerGun93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a MarineLand Penguin Bio Wheel GPH 100 on my 20G with 8 Zebra Danios. I'm thinking of buying the same brand but with 200 GPH.

How do i go about seeding the new Filter?
How long does it take to seed it?

No only the 200 as it might create alot of current if i run both, might stress out the Danios

No only the 200 as it might create alot of current if i run both, might stress out the Danios
Well, if you move all the media from the old one to the new one, you will have enough BB to cover the current stock. If you have no other use/plans for the 100, I would fill it with filter floss only and run it with 200. If it has a flow setting, you could adjust it to suit. The floss will do a great job at keeping your water crystal clear....

Reactions: HN1
I haven't thought about using filter floss on the 100. But wouldn't there be a lot of water current with both models running? And no they dont have a flow rate setting.

And will it upset the Danios?

I haven't thought about using filter floss on the 100. But wouldn't there be a lot of water current with both models running? And no they dont have a flow rate setting.

And will it upset the Danios?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that exact model but does it have a flow adjuster switch/lever

yes it has a lever is that how to adjust the flow rate?

iv'e moved it when i first got it but didn't notice any change.

its actually called a mid-lever strainer but it has a lever.
I just done a quick search on this filter and the older models have the flow adjuster and the newer ones don't. If it has a lever, I'm sure this is for adjusting the flow. You will NOT do any harm by setting it up and trying it. Some people like to over filter and over filtering is better than under-filtering. Danios are great fish and very hardy. They don't mind a strong current, obviously if it's like a whirlpool, I wouldn't use it but I honestly don't think it will be. When the filter is full with floss, it will reduce the flow anyway. Try it and see how you get on. Remember too, the 200 will do all the filtering you need, if you decide not to use the 100. The 100, is just a bonus. The 100 will NOT be used for housing BB, solely for mechanical filtration, so when the floss gets dirty, you can just remove it and replace it. Rinse it if you like but because it's SO cheap, I just replace mine. You can get the floss online ebay/amazon or in a crafts/hobby shop. A massive bag for a few dollars. It will last you years!!. Just make sure it's 100% polyfill, no additives-->Fire Retardants. In case you don't know the filter floss looks like Candy Floss, except white....lol

I got a 200 for my 29, that thing cranks, maybe just double up the 100 and like Ian said run one with filter floss and the other with bb media?

I just done a quick search on this filter and the older models have the flow adjuster and the newer ones don't. If it has a lever, I'm sure this is for adjusting the flow. You will NOT do any harm by setting it up and trying it. Some people like to over filter and over filtering is better than under-filtering. Danios are great fish and very hardy. They don't mind a strong current, obviously if it's like a whirlpool, I wouldn't use it but I honestly don't think it will be. When the filter is full with floss, it will reduce the flow anyway. Try it and see how you get on. Remember too, the 200 will do all the filtering you need, if you decide not to use the 100. The 100, is just a bonus. The 100 will NOT be used for housing BB, solely for mechanical filtration, so when the floss gets dirty, you can just remove it and replace it. Rinse it if you like but because it's SO cheap, I just replace mine. You can get the floss online ebay/amazon or in a crafts/hobby shop. A massive bag for a few dollars. It will last you years!!. Just make sure it's 100% polyfill, no additives-->Fire Retardants. In case you don't know the filter floss looks like Candy Floss, except white....lol

Yeah i might just buy the 150 model or 100 and use the new one with filter floss and the old one with BB. thanks for all your help!

To "feed" or cycle your filter, just make them run both in same time for 1 month.

Then remove the 100GPH one. Should not stress the fishs....

Or just take the bios from the 100 and put it in the 200 one...

Back
Top Bottom