How's this for a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
10 gal tank

Betta, iridescent shark, bala shark, fantail guppy, four ghost shrimp

For plants:
apotonogeton and lily bulbs slowly growing.

I'm looking for some shorter grass for the shrimp and smaller fish to hide in. Any suggestions?

I could be wrong on this but I think Bala Sharks can grow to like 12 inches long. If that is the case then no way could it be kept long term in a 10Gal.
I'm also not a betta person but I think I remember reading somewhere that you should not keep them with something that has flowing fins (like a fantail guppy).

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I pipes up on this one if I am wrong.

Bala shark and irridescent shark will not do well in a 10-gal, and guppies and bettas don't get along due to the similar flowy fin situation.

A betta in a 10 with a school of small tetras, or perhaps a small school of harlequin rasboras would be nice, and/or a small school of cory cats would work also. Sometimes bettas will eat ghost shrimp, sometimes not - I've had it go both ways.

I am partial to the lily bulbs - if you have adequate lighting they are lovely. Can't go wrong with aponogteton, they do well in lower light situations but they get tall, and might drape across the surface of the 10.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

We have plans to move the betta into at least a 5 gal tank of his own soon. So far, the guppy and the betta leave each other alone, no problems. The betta didn't like the other guppy at all though, he was similarly colored, and I guess there is only room for one blue and red fish in that tank... :)

I will be coming into a little bit more money next month and will be purchasing a 55 gal tank and trying to sneak it into the house w/o my wife noticing, to give myself room for the larger shark and some mates.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom