Huge problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got an over stocked 8 gallon tank and everyone has told me to return fish and get a test kit I went to the pet store yesterday and asked if I can return my fish they said I don't need to u can fit20 fish in that tank not just 12 then I asked for a test kit witch they said I don't need and my mom believed them so now what ??????

Shane l said:
Got an over stocked 8 gallon tank and everyone has told me to return fish and get a test kit I went to the pet store yesterday and asked if I can return my fish they said I don't need to u can fit20 fish in that tank not just 12 then I asked for a test kit witch they said I don't need and my mom believed them so now what ??????

Show her the posts on here! We will tell her. Shane's mom - 99% of pet/fish store people don't know what they are talking about. You need a test kit. It is an important part of any maintenance routine. You need it to keep an eye on the toxin levels in an aquarium. Without one you risk poisoning your fish with their own waste products. It really will save you money in the long run. It is cheeper to buy a test kit than keep replacing fish. An 8 gallon tank is not very big. I have one with 4 fish (a betta and 3 panda cories) and I consider it stocked. It's not about whether they fit in the tank it is about swimming space, the individual temperament of each kind of fish and if you biological filter can keep up with the bioload (waste output of the fish).

You can try looking up some websites for your mom to read about cycling and stocking. :) You can find profiles on the fish species you orginally purchased (or get a book from the library) and show her how the individual species need more space.
Good luck!

Pet store tanks are set up as holding/sale tanks, they are not set up for long term fish keeping.

Most stores tanks are on some sort of central filtration system anyway so they are nothing like a basic home setup.

I agree with jeta. Also, another thing to remember is that the fish sold in petstores are usually really young, so keeping them alive for the extent of their lifespan is a different matter. :)

It's good your doing the best you can in the situation. I know it's hard when your parents are the ones paying for things but one day you'll be old enough to get a job and pay for it all yourself :) good luck with convincing her.

Oh, sorry for missing your question. I don't think keeping a single cory in a 3g tank is a good idea. I have kept them singly in quarantine before and they just sit and seem listless by themselves, especially if they have no room to move.
I think your best option is to keep nagging her and get her to see the light. :)

Back
Top Bottom