Hurricane prep.....For fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktulu909

Aquarium Advice Regular
So what steps can one take to hurricane prep an aquarium?If I have to leave for any extended amount of time,what steps can I take to give my fishys the best chance to survive a few days,possibly without electricity?

I figured if i have to evacuate,I could do a massive water change to remove any low level nitrates,should I throw my media cartridges in the water in case the power goes out and my filters stop running?I know they make battery operated air pumps,but how long do the batteries last?What about feeding?

This is something that I definitely didn't account for lol.

If you have to evacuate, throw the filter media in a media bag to preserve your BB. Other than that, run a battery operated airstone... I think you can get a couple of days of continued use. Feed them the day before your PWC. The fish will be fine for a week .. Maybe two(pushing it) without food.

The biggest worry would be temp... You can wrap the tank in blankets to conserve heat... Luckily your in Summer so a cold tank isn't much of an issue.

hurricane for fish

i have a battery backup for 150 hrs but i dont know if there are longer lasting ones out there

I'm in the same boat but with saltwater. Only run what you need to keep the fish and water healthy. Water movement is key! Don't worry about heaters or lights.

So what steps can one take to hurricane prep an aquarium?If I have to leave for any extended amount of time,what steps can I take to give my fishys the best chance to survive a few days,possibly without electricity?

I figured if i have to evacuate,I could do a massive water change to remove any low level nitrates,should I throw my media cartridges in the water in case the power goes out and my filters stop running?I know they make battery operated air pumps,but how long do the batteries last?What about feeding?

This is something that I definitely didn't account for lol.
Good question! I was wondering the same thing last night!

The biggest worry would be temp... You can wrap the tank in blankets to conserve heat... Luckily your in Summer so a cold tank isn't much of an issue.

Yea,temp will be an issue on the other side of the scale tho.Last thing I would want to do is wrap a blanket around the tank,Moms AC went out a few weeks ago and it was into the mid 90s in her house.

Gah,I think I will buy the battery operated air pump and wire it up with roughly 4 times the normal batteries (In parallel,not series),that should keep it going for awhile.

About all you can do is keep the surface agitating ... And praying.

In summer You can forgo the blankets .. The tank will only go as high as the air-temp wrapped or not. Good luck! Hope it turns out OK!

I have a sump so should I put the Bio balls into the tank so they don't dry out?? We will most likely lose electricity and it doesn't seem to be a bad hurricane so I will probably stay home. Could I get a wooden spoon and just stir the water every 15 minutes instead of buying a battery powered airstone? But hopefully I wont have school!!

Yes, I'd say put the bio balls in the main tank in a media bag. The sump will not be an ammonia source if you lose power. Yes you can stir the water, as long as there's surface agitation.

jcolon said:
Yes, I'd say put the bio balls in the main tank in a media bag. The sump will not be an ammonia source if you lose power. Yes you can stir the water, as long as there's surface agitation.

Thanks.

My fish will be fine so far just rain and a little wind. But no school tomorrow :)

im glad someone started a thread like this, this wll be my first hurricane with live plants so not so sure how that will go but i guess ill just open the blinds if the power goes out. :ermm:

Just got power back.stirred the tank twice a day,no power for about 48 hours,little algae bloom.no casualties.bout to do MAJOR water change.

Lost power intermittently, but never for more than an hour. Just had some rain and a good amount of wind. Nothing serious.

Good to hear because some homes became instant aquariums. (((landlocked but live in tornado country))))

Back
Top Bottom