i am being overwhelmed with temptation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
bubble eye goldfish are staring at me every time i go to petsmart. They cry out from their tanks:

MCD, please, please, let us come with you! We will bring you such joy! You want us......you know you do! Do it. Do ittttttttttttttt.

Not a big fan of goldfish. But I can hardly resist something with bigger bags under it's eyes than mine...much less a talking fish, albeit telepathically.

So, I have a 30g sitting around empty. Being someone who had 9 tanks at one point, i am certain i can scrounge up some filters and such.

Do I go for it? Will I regret it?

Temptation temptation. That devil that it is.

I dunno. That bubble eye thing strikes me as the type of fish that would cause all kinds of damage to itself and create nothing but worry on my part. They look so overly fragile, for being such a powerful and somewhat dim witted fish. Like putting 20" chrome alloys on an 82 Jeep YJ.

On the other hand, I always say: "If it's empty, fill it with fish".

I'd probably start a planted guppy tank, if I had another one laying around, or a cichlid tank with all kinds of those yellow and blues.

I say go for it! I do have a spot in my heart for red-capped oranda's and bubble eye's! I think you will enjoy them :)

I have a very similar issue with the dwarf puffers I saw at P-Mart today. I just played with them for a minute and kept moving. They are so very cute.....

Someone stop me!

GO FOR IT!!!! You wont regret it goldfish are cool fish. Everyone says oh there so original but there not lol. I have a 40g with a Panda, 2 Orandas, and a Black Moor and they all have so much personallity! They are also good looking fish to! Be careful with bubble eyes...I had an incident with mine and a the point on a rock...HE DIDN'T MAKE IT :cry: :cry: He was so cool. I love my goldfish and they are little piggies and almost have as much personality as my Oscars lol. I agree dont let a tank go to waste! And how many times do see talking fish :wink:

Aquarium Freak said:
And how many times do see talking fish :wink:

Pretty often in my experience. Every one of my fish talks. It's how I pick 'em at the LFS. I go in knowing what KIND of fish I want then stand there at the tank until a few of them talk to me, then pick the smartest/cutest ones. Except my mollies. They're stoooopid, but it's amazing how pathetically stupid fish were able to win my heart by inducing pity. How can you say no to a fish that comes up to the glass panting and chanting, "Wanna play? Wanna play? Now do you wanna play? Now? Now?"

I assumed everybody's fish talked to them. You mean they don't?

If you have a spare 30 gal, start it up, take media from the other filters to kick start your cycle, and go for it. They can't have any sharp decorations but even if they pop a bubble eye, with good water it will heal.

I think they're very cool fish. Goldies make for a terrific tank.

[quote="cassieHow can you say no to a fish that comes up to the glass panting and chanting, "Wanna play? Wanna play? Now do you wanna play? Now? Now?"[/quote]

My fish only chant "Feed me...feed me....feed me" - its my dog that says "Wanna play now?"!!! :lol:

When i saw the bubble eyes i fell in love with them aswell. I'm new to the hobby and i did my research and unfortunately they seemed like a fish for a more advanced fish keeper.

I think that the fact it spoke to you means you should definitely get them:)

MSU Fan said:
My fish only chant "Feed me...feed me....feed me" - its my dog that says "Wanna play now?"!!! :lol:

Like this?

dogplay.JPG

Whenever i open the lid or get near the tank they immediately think "oh boy its food time"

I am not a big fan of those bubble eyed goldfish. I have a weakness for loaches. They peek their little heads out and say, "If I was in your tank I wouldn't hide all the time. Honest." :D

i have a soft spot for loaches as well. I have them in 3 out of 10 tanks right now. Three of my tanks are too small for loaches (5g or less betta tanks), 1 has cories in it and is only a 10g, so not too much space in there, 1 is a species only tank, 1 is cycling, and 1 is a QT tank. I do have loaches in the stocking plan for the tank that is cycling. My yoyos are getting upgraded, and I am getting a different loach for the 20g (haven't decided what kind yet though)

MSU Fan said:

hahaha! that's brilliant - my guppies do exactly the same thing :D:D

squeekness said:
I have a weakness for loaches. They peek their little heads out and say, "If I was in your tank I wouldn't hide all the time. Honest." :D

that has to be the funniest thing i've heard all day, thanks

i've heard bubble goldies are actually hardier than they look, and that their eyes can heal themselves to some extent if they get popped.

they are not a seperate species of goldfish from the other fancies, but a species that has been bred specifically for its "eye" traits"

EDIT: because they are still goldfish they need alot of room, and alot of clean water, dont think that a super filter will do the trick, i've only kept commons, and they can be rewarding, smarter than tropical fish i feel

Having owned a Bubble Eye for over three years now and starting with a second one I can attest to their hardiness. I had Dojo, the black one, in a 35 hex with two others and an Emperor 280 with one airstone on the tank. I had the tank set up that way for 7 years and did very well with that setup and three goldies. I had no cases of Ick until I brought home a new one that had been treated for Ick at the lfs...which it promptly shared with the tank, grrr!
My black one died from an allergic reaction to salt but had no other issues at all. I was treating the whole tank for Ick (I will never use the salt method again, btw) and the white one I just got was shipped from California (overnight FedEx) and is by far one of the most active fish I have seen "fresh" in the tank.
They are my favorite fish and my black had an eye sac deflate and reinflate. Unless they tear the sac, it will heal up to a certain point. I would whole heartedly say go for it just be careful what you put in the tank with them...they are not the brightest bulbs in the fish-pack. :):)
Here are pics of both mine (sorry about the pic quality on the white one...I have a new camera and I don't know how to use it yet. Lol!):
Goldfish%20Dojo%20005.jpg

Goldfish%20Gang%20021.jpg

Not my favorite variety. I really dislike when they go as far as eye deformities. Water bubble-eyes (like the black one above) spend a lot of their time on the tank bottom. Be careful you don't have sharp or pointy gravel if you want one because their poor bellies often lay on it. Regular-bubble eyes (the white fish above) do better. You don't want food that floats because the bubble prevent them from eating at the surface for the most part.

Yes...I echo everything Depot said. Having goldies, I have always kept plastic plants in the tank and I always made sure they had rounded or soft edges. The silk plants work well, though some will still try to eat them. Lol!
Interesting about your observations, Depot. I did not know there were differing sac fluids...Dojo was very sedentary this new one is alot more active.
I feed several types of food but any premade is the sinking kind.
It probably sounds like they are alot of work but I am telling you, they have been easy to keep for me. Proper conditions and food...there ya go.
I am now considering a Celestial (they have no eye sacs but the eyes turn up).

I think they are alot like Pugs, either so ugly they're cute, or...scary beyond all recognition!

Lol!:)

Hey Depot, I'm taking you with me next time I go fish shopping...

Back
Top Bottom