I dont understand pH please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhite807

Aquarium Advice Regular
My pH is around 6.4 consistently. I use the API test kit to test water parameters. I tested my tap water tonight out of curiosity and its sitting around 8. I don't understand why my tank pH is so much lower than the tap water. The tap water is what im putting in the tank. It doesnt make any sense to me. Am I doing something wrong and how do I raise it? I heard baking soda but I am skeptical until I read more about that solution.

I would like it raised because I am housing cichlids who prefer the pH in the mid 7's to 8.

Flame Suit On. You could try SeaChem Alkaline Regulator, but it sounds like something is definitely wrong. Do you filter with peat? Do you have driftwood? How big and how stocked is your tank? How often do you perform partial water changes?

9 cichlids in a planted tank. Artificial driftwood with rock caves. I use a penguin 350 with 2 of the marineland filters that are made for it, and 2 aqua clear sponges behind them. I have been doing 2 water changes a week as my ammonia was a little high at .25 recently, but normally just one a week. I dose flourish excel, I don't know if that matters or not.

Sometimes, the pH will be low when the substrate has too much organic waste. Some fish create quite a bit of waste, and that turns into ammonia and other nitrogen compounds which can eventually become acidic. Have you checked nitrite? Nitrite and ammonia could indicate a waste problem. If that's the case, do a partial water change (20 or 30 percent) every day until the problem clears. After that, weekly partial water changes will maintain a good balance. When you do the water change, syphon the gunk off the bottom, but leave some of the substrate untouched. That's where the good bacteria live, and you should avoid syphoning out all of them.

If fish and plant wastes are not the problem, something that produces acid may have been introduced into the aquarium. That "something" could include anything from materials not intended for aquarium use through chemicals that are intended for aquarium use, through things added by youngsters. Be very careful about using pH adjusting products, because a quick change in pH could harm the fish.

I had a ton of pH issues because of super soft tap water. I'd check your GH and KH in your tAp water. And test your tank water at the LFS, and get the test kit. I resisted the test kit awhile but if you're struggling with anything it's good to know why.

I personally had things get worse with alkaline buffer ... Huge swings ... A combo of cichlid salts, cichlid buffer, and crushed coral stabilized pH, GH, and KH. I'm very much a beginner but that's what worked for me when a very clean tank with frequent big water changes kept having low pH.

When you tested your tap water for ph did you let it sit out for 24 hours prior to testing? In order to get your taps true ph you need to take a cup of water and let it sit 24 hours periodically stirring the water. During this time the water will gass off. After 24 hours test that water and that is your taps ph.

If you have a low ph you can easily correct it by adding rocks such as Texas Holey Rocks to the tank, or using crushed coral in the filter or in a media bag hung under the filter outflow, or even using a product such as Seachem Equilibrium to remineralize soft tap or well water. I would personally get an API Kh and Gh test kit (both tests come in the kit) and monitor your Kh and Gh. Normally when you have a low Ph your Kh is low.

Back
Top Bottom