I ended up with 2 green spotted puffers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maymaycares

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so we were walking through Walmart a few days ago, and ofcourse I had to go look at the fish. I'm always saddened at all of the dead fish in the tanks at Walmart, and when I saw maybe 50 of the cutest fish i'd ever seen packed into a 15 gallon area, I had to save a few of them! That day I brought home two green spotted puffer fish...
I probably should have done my research first, but they were irresistable! After releasing them into my tank, they seemed to settle in well and get along with the gold barbs and zebras I had in that aquarium. Later on I logged on and found out what a terror and hassle they can be...
I couldn't resist parting with them since they were so dang cute, so i moved my danios and gold barbs into my community aquarium and everyone seems happy and healthy now.
My question is, I read that they're brackish, but plain aquarium salt won't do, that you have to use marine salt. How many tablespoons of marine salt per gallon should I use?
Thanks!

Thanks god u safe them from walmart!!!!
actually they will need a full marine set up as soon as possible.
what's the size of yours?
and my GSpuffer r good great with guppies before, if they learn to get food from u, they won't hurt other fishes. (most of the time.)
Don't just throw food in the tank and let them fight for it, do actually feed each of them, and they will know to come for food in no time.

and 2 green spotted will need at least 30gal tank.
they can get up to 6" when they r adult. (i will take a while tho)

I transfered mine to full marine when they r 1~1.5".
let me know if you have any questions on them.
I am sure I can help a little bit on puffer questions XD

oh, you got suckered in as well? im not sure about the marine salt either. that's about all i was told too. ive had mine, his name is Subby, for a few months now, and he's doin well, but he wont do as well as he could or live as long as he would in brackish to salt water...

if the puffers r by their own in their tank w/o any other livestocks, u can slowly change the system to full marine by add little bit marine salt every other water change, the process should take at least 6 months.

ok, so you want to slowly raise the SG,
I will do like 0.002 about every 2~3 week, untill u reach to 1.021~1.023
if your puffers is not eating what u give them, just don't feed them for couple days, and they should give a try on that food and fortunately they will eat that from then.

let me know what u guys want to know.

Thanks god u safe them from walmart!!!!
actually they will need a full marine set up as soon as possible.
what's the size of yours?
and my GSpuffer r good great with guppies before, if they learn to get food from u, they won't hurt other fishes. (most of the time.)
Don't just throw food in the tank and let them fight for it, do actually feed each of them, and they will know to come for food in no time.

and 2 green spotted will need at least 30gal tank.
they can get up to 6" when they r adult. (i will take a while tho)

I transfered mine to full marine when they r 1~1.5".
let me know if you have any questions on them.
I am sure I can help a little bit on puffer questions XD

Oh gosh! I don't think I can afford a full marine setup... LOL. They're both about an inch right now. I read that they only have to go to full marine when they're adults, how long until then?
I have them in a 20 gallon right niw.
Yes, I learned the hard way not to throw food into the tank... Hehe. Now I hold out the baby shrimp in each hand on two sides of the aquarium.

Oh gosh! I don't think I can afford a full marine setup... LOL. They're both about an inch right now. I read that they only have to go to full marine when they're adults, how long until then?
I have them in a 20 gallon right niw.
Yes, I learned the hard way not to throw food into the tank... Hehe. Now I hold out the baby shrimp in each hand on two sides of the aquarium.

haha hand feeding is always fun XP
when I suggest to change to full marine as soon as you can.
you don't really need to have live rock or sand if u r just keeping the green spotted. just need to get the SG to 1.021~1.023
I remember I saw one dude he got an 5inches GSpuffer in a tank without sand and rock. OoO that GSpuffer eat small lobster....LOL

but if you still can afford to change, the latest will be when they grow up 3inches+ which will take about 1~2years.

oh I think 20gal will be fine for them since they r still small, they r messy eater and poopy monster, just keep track on nitrate and do PWC when needed.

Back
Top Bottom