Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2023, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Post I have a sponge that is over a few months old

I have a sponge that is over a few months old. I wash in tank water and then stick the sponge back in my filter. My question is the following how long can I keep the sponge before it goes bad? I am thinking that is why my Nitrates are high. It is just a regular white sponge.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettygil View Post
I have a sponge that is over a few months old. I wash in tank water and then stick the sponge back in my filter. My question is the following how long can I keep the sponge before it goes bad? I am thinking that is why my Nitrates are high. It is just a regular white sponge.
If it came with the filter, it's not a " regular sponge" and you can use it until it starts to fall apart. It's not the sponge causing nitrates, it's the bacteria/microbes in the sponge combating the ammonia being produced by your tank(s) inhabitants and food by eventually converting it to nitrates. That's how it's supposed to happen.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Realistically, until it starts to degrade/fall apart. Most of mine are several years old and still in good shape.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
If it came with the filter, it's not a " regular sponge" and you can use it until it starts to fall apart. It's not the sponge causing nitrates, it's the bacteria/microbes in the sponge combating the ammonia being produced by your tank(s) inhabitants and food by eventually converting it to nitrates. That's how it's supposed to happen.
This sponge did not come with filter. I bought a sponge from ebay. I have O Nitrates, Nitrites, and 0 Ammonia.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This sponge did not come with filter. I bought a sponge from ebay. I have O Nitrates, Nitrites, and 0 Ammonia.
was this a sponge from the pet department or one from the house cleaning department?
Old 10-07-2023, 08:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
was this a sponge from the pet department or one from the house cleaning department?
I am not sure what department it came from, but I assume pet because of the brand name called. AquaClear Foam Filter Inserts, 3 Pack – Replacement Mechanical and Biological Filter Media for 70 Gallon Tanks.
It says on amazon..Versatile: This filter media is suitable for freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Replace monthly for best results.

Do I just change 1 sponge from one filter, or 2 sponges once a month? I do not want to disrupt the cycle.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am not sure what department it came from, but I assume pet because of the brand name called. AquaClear Foam Filter Inserts, 3 Pack Ė Replacement Mechanical and Biological Filter Media for 70 Gallon Tanks.
It says on amazon..Versatile: This filter media is suitable for freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Replace monthly for best results.

Do I just change 1 sponge from one filter, or 2 sponges once a month? I do not want to disrupt the cycle.
Those are from the pet department. Despite those instructions, no need to change them until they start to fall apart. Just rinse them gently every other water change and give them a couple of squeezes when you rinse them off to get any buildup inside the sponge out. When the time comes, you'll only want to replace 1 sponge at a time in a tank so that you don't destroy the biological bed.

Tags
sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com