i have nitrite high problem please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barberball90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi im liam just signed up to this forum be grateful for any help?
i have a new tank had it running for 2 days and had no fish in it i put safe start in then 2 days later had my water checked the nitrite levels were fine so i bought 1 cardinal tetra 2 guppies 2 cherry barbs then my water went cloudy and i have nitrite readings of 0.25ppm for nearly 3 weeks so bought real plants to help. the water is clear now but nitrite is still the same 0.25 bought a gravel cleaner used that and syphoned 25% out and done normal 25% water changes is there any thing else i can do to reduce my nitrite :)

barberball90 said:
hi im liam just signed up to this forum be grateful for any help?
i have a new tank had it running for 2 days and had no fish in it i put safe start in then 2 days later had my water checked the nitrite levels were fine so i bought 1 cardinal tetra 2 guppies 2 cherry barbs then my water went cloudy and i have nitrite readings of 0.25ppm for nearly 3 weeks so bought real plants to help. the water is clear now but nitrite is still the same 0.25 bought a gravel cleaner used that and syphoned 25% out and done normal 25% water changes is there any thing else i can do to reduce my nitrite :)

Welcome to AA! Are you testing for ammonia & nitrAtes? What are those readings? Are you testing daily with a liquid water test kit? How big is your tank? Personally I would do 50% water changes, a 25% water change should put your nitrites at 0 but I like to go bigger. :) have you done anything with your filter in the last few weeks, change it out, rinse it with tap water? How often are you doing water changes? When my 10g went through a fish in cycle I had nitrItes show up about week 6 & they lasted for 2 weeks, so it's not unheard of for you to have nitrItes.

thanks for writing back to me i have been told never to wash my filter in tap water because it kills the needed bacteria im testing for NITRITE not nitrate which some people have mistaken me my tank holds 94 uk litres 0.25ppm of nitrite only went high after adding fish which have been in there for 2 weeks now

thanks for your help the links where helpful i last did a water change on sunday 19 aug using my syphon took about 25% out

your tanks not cycled yet if its only up for 3 weeks thats why your nitrites are up. You really shouldn't have added all those fish yet because the bacteria wasn't sufficient to handle the bio load. You should have added 1 or 2 the most.

Now that you have nitrites you're essentially doing the same as a fish in cycle. Just continue to do 25% or larger water changes when your levels are not acceptable. Any nitrites suck but I wouldn't let it get above .25 or .50.

thanks for all your help everyone i will keep in touch to let you know how its doing or if i need any help if thats ok many thanks again

my nitrite has come right down now just did another water change hopefully it will be the last one for a week thank you for all your help

barberball90 said:
last one for a week

You do partial water changes weekly in tanks that are cycled. Tanks that aren't cycled yet like yours, you'll need to do them like every other day. You really need to test for ammonia rather than just nitrite.. Ammonia is more toxic and should be a concern more.

Do any of your friends have an established tank that has been cycled? You can always get some of their filter media and "seed" your filter with it. That should speed up the cycle in getting some of the beneficial bacteria colonizing.

In your other thread you mentioned your female cherry barb being sick. How's the cardinal doing? Cardinals are far more sensitive than barbs so I'm surprised to hear about the cherry barb. Well good luck and i hope your fish make it.

Back
Top Bottom