I need more algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have a huge pleco that eats 24/7. I've been trying to get some green algae to grow on the large rocks in my aquarium, but it's not really growing fast enough before the pleco eats it all. It's a 125 gallon standard tank, 6' long with 72 watts of fluorescent light. In addition, there is a 20 gallon sump/refugium underneath with 32 watts of fluorescent light, plants, shrimp ect. I also use 2 canister filters along with a UV sterilizer and 2 big powerheads in the tank. the overflow is about 500 gph.

I was trying to figure out a relatively cheap way to add more light to the top tank and get some algae growing on the rocks. I was at Home Depot and saw some 150w halogen flood lights that would fit perfectly in my setup, one on each side facing down @ about 35 degree angle. Now I know they run hot but I think I have that covered.

Are there any other concerns I should be worried about?

My problem is not that the pleco is hungry, I feel bad for him so I want him to eat more (he's 13" and fat). It's that with the fish in my tank I can't have plants, they destroy them. Thus I want algae to grow on the big rocks I have in the tank. I just want some green :-(

But to answer your question I do feed algae on a veggie clip every so often, but I have soo much flow in my tank that for the most part it gets torn to shreds and sucked down the overflow. Also few other fish like the algae so I don't feed it often as it tends to clog filters up.

My problem is not that the pleco is hungry, I feel bad for him so I want him to eat more (he's 13" and fat). It's that with the fish in my tank I can't have plants, they destroy them. Thus I want algae to grow on the big rocks I have in the tank. I just want some green :-(

But to answer your question I do feed algae on a veggie clip every so often, but I have soo much flow in my tank that for the most part it gets torn to shreds and sucked down the overflow. Also few other fish like the algae so I don't feed it often as it tends to clog filters up.

Veggies such as cucumber and zuchini won't fall apart like algae strips.

cool cool

well, does anybody know anything about halogen lights for aquarium use?

Well for 1; they're hotter than beelzebub's final resting place. And 2; if you're gonna put 2 of them on there, (300 watts of high intersity light!!! Yeow :shock:) you'll have algae all right. Especially beneath them lights. Now I know this is all because you're concerned about your Pleco, we all are. But I can only re-inforce what everybody's been saying, Give your Pleco them veggies man. I know it's a pain in the rear but ummm, maybe you could make a feeder of some sort? A weighted stake or barb you could stab the veggies on to. Like maybe... a piece of rock or corral with the stake or barb secured to it somehow. (silicone?) Take it out, stick the veggies on and back in the tank. Personally, I'd stay away from growing algae on purpose. I guess it wouldn't hurt anything but it sounds like you have such a nice, clean, well kept tank. And algae's just sooooo...

Back
Top Bottom