i really need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 36 g bowfront. Its been setup since September. Ever since I got my new fixture (which was in may) the water has not been clearing up. I was told to leave the lights off for a few days and I did, I was told to do small water changes, I left the lights on for a few hours and idk what to do anymore. Can anyone please help?:/ its really frustrating and I feel like taking my tank down. The water doesn't wanna seen to clear up

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110602_114425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110602_114425.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 119
I have a 36 g bowfront. Its been setup since September. Ever since I got my new fixture (which was in may) the water has not been clearing up. I was told to leave the lights off for a few days and I did, I was told to do small water changes, I left the lights on for a few hours and idk what to do anymore. Can anyone please help?:/ its really frustrating and I feel like taking my tank down. The water doesn't wanna seen to clear up

what is this new fixture you spoke of?

Its the water, and I have the t5ho Nova extreme 48 watts

Yes ficture type and wattage would be helpful. Maybe some water tests so we can see your parameters. And What the first guy said is it the glass that has algea covering it or is it the water that is cloudy.

Cloudy water is usually suspended algae/bacteria or waste. Dirty glass is just that.

3 neon tetras, 2 red minor tetra, I betta, and one little ghost shrimp

If the water in your tank is green, then algae is growing in the water, which shows that the water contains too much dissolved fish waste. You should change some of the water in your tank every day, until the water in your tank is clear again. Don't overreact and change too much water at one time. Change 20% of the water once each day until the green is gone, then change 20% of the water twice a week. Don't change more than 20% of the water in one day, unless you have a catastrophe, and green algae is not a catastrophe.

GoneFishing said:
If the water in your tank is green, then algae is growing in the water, which shows that the water contains too much dissolved fish waste. You should change some of the water in your tank every day, until the water in your tank is clear again.

+1. And try not overfeed, and you could get a couple of Nerite Snails if you want.

Not an over abundance of light IMO.

Do you dose with ferts or have co2? What kind of filter?

Looks like GW (Euglaena) to me and here's a link that will give you some insight and help on why and what to do about it. Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

I'd suggest poly-fil in your filter, that stuff strips junk from the water column like nothing else. Here's a link to info on Poly-fil. Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

That's what I've been doing, I did a big one Sunday then like 10% to 20% everyday like someone told me. It worked a little but then it wont clear up. I think it may be my gravel, I posted something about stuff being stuck on my gravel And can't seem to find out what it is

I haven't been overfeeding the fish at all and my filter is an aqueon. If it helps every time I take out the cartilage, the back of it is always mushy and green

Oh and no frets and co2. Sorry for all the posts. Doing this from my phone. I'm only using root tabs at this point

I haven't been overfeeding the fish at all and my filter is an aqueon. If it helps every time I take out the cartilage, the back of it is always mushy and green

which aqueon filter? what media are you using? just the stock carbon? or carbon, sponge. If you are washing your filter out in tap water then that could cause issues, rinse it off in the tank water you remove when doing your changes. Since this is green algae I think it's safe to say your not washing it tap water, but just wanted to throw that out there.

I think you should get some Algae eaters, a Flying Fox, a BN Pleco, Nerite Snails, Oto's. Get some kind of clean up crew.

Just a regular 30 gallon aqueon power filter that came with the tank. And the media is just a regular filter cartilage. And you're right, I don't rinse it tap water, I wash it in tank water but the thing is that's it gets dirty really fast and quick

I have that filter from a kit. It's sitting in my garage now and my Aqua Clear 50 does a much better job since it's a 3 stage filter system that I put Poly-fil in.

The only thing you can do is clean the cart everyday (maybe twice a day) to keep it flowing. You might want to look into an in-tank UV sterilizer.

Oh and no frets and co2. Sorry for all the posts. Doing this from my phone. I'm only using root tabs at this point

Root tabs are ferts and you want to make sure they're in deep enough so they don't leach into the water.

fishdud said:
Just a regular 30 gallon aqueon power filter that came with the tank. And the media is just a regular filter cartilage. And you're right, I don't rinse it tap water, I wash it in tank water but the thing is that's it gets dirty really fast and quick

I have the same exact problem with mine, within a week mine is gunked up bad.

Yeah I was thinking about getting an aqua clear filter since I heard good things. And which clean up crew would you recommend? I've tried algae eaters but they always end up dying, I would get otos but none of my pet shops sell em:/ and as for the root tabs, I'm only using one which is deep within the gravel

I'd suggest poly-fil in your filter, that stuff strips junk from the water column like nothing else. Here's a link to info on Poly-fil. Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

+1 this stuff is awesome! I have 2 filters on my 29 gallon, a aquarclear 50 with just 2 stages (carbon removed for live plants) and the stock topfin 30 with just the poly-fil in it. The poly-fil works like magic, kinda polishing the water and removing the microscopic particles from the water.

Back
Top Bottom