I think my black skirt tetras ate one of my zebra danios!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftcgames

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so here is what happened. I came home last night, and went to admire my tank. I saw one of my zebra danios floating around up-side down. As I looked at it closer, It had no head or tail. I kept watching, and one of my black skirt tetras came and started chewing on it again. What should I do:bawl:

I already did, but what I am worried about is that it will happen again. I am asking if black skirts usually do this.

Fish recycle. If something dies they tend to eat it.

Skirt Tetras in too small a group , less than 6, can get nippy. Esp in smaller tanks. BUT most Danios are faster. So I doubt the Tetras killed it, it's possible, but ?

Check your water. Make sure the water is excellent.

I feed my active fish small amounts twice daily, esp if they may get nippy if hungry. My Cherry Barbs were like this. Great if well fed, nippy if not.
( not killers, just naughty ).

If fish find a body before you do, they may help themselves to a protein snack.

What size tank ?
What fish in it ?

I think the black tetra killed the danio but not how you would think. I believe your danio was not doing well. He may have seemed fine but fish are masters of hiding pain. Your black tetras may have simply killed the weak fish.

Zebra danios are way faster than black skirt tetras. The zebra most likely died of other causes and your black skirts took advantage of an easy meal. Your other zebra danios probably munched on the dead danio as well, along with anything else you may have in tank. Fish are fish...

David

I've got blk skirts and they didn't kill the danio. It either died naturally or something bigger killed it.

Back
Top Bottom