I Think My New Fish is a Dork.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got up this morning and went to feed the crew. Last weekend I picked up a lovely superveil black angelfish when me n madasafish went shopping with Brian NY. The new guy is in my 8g QT tank, with a fluval 1+ filter in it.

The fluval's suction cups wont...suck...anymore LOL and it tends to lay facing down in the tank (so the outflow hits the tank bottom) instead of flowing across the tank. Doesn't seem to be a problem; the betta that was in there didn't even notice it.

I look into the 8g before I feed the new guy and, OMG, he's dead! He must be; he's laying UNDER the filter. So I gently go to take the filter off the dead fish and he glares at me. And swims off. Apparently he was sleeping, sideways, under the fluval. *sigh* He's bopping around the tank now, and ate all the food I gave him. I don't know whether I'm thrilled he's alive, worried something might be wrong or pissed off because he scared me for nothing LOL (water parameters are fine btw).

Glad to hear he is still alive. I have often found my fish in the "I assume yuor dead" position only to have them take off when I get near. very inconsiderate I say.

Is there no other cover in the 8G? He may just be looking for a crevice to feel secure in...or he may be one heck of an actor.

Feh. The tank is fully covered, unlighted except for some morning sun and has a clump of Hygro floating in it. While I normally do NOT recommend live plants in a QT tank, I have so much of it I needed someplace to put it LOL. So its a quiet, fairly dark tank with some cover.

I just think he's an idiot LOL

Hmmm. Must be a Long Island thing. I find some of my discus wedge themselves between the filter tubes and the tank to sleep. And I've 1 DD black from the same spawn as yours Alli that will lie on its side in the plants.

Sounds like my dumb otto. Look in tank other day, poor mr. otto is dead, wedged between filter intake and tank side.. I move the filter intake, and off he swims! Stopped for second to look at me, as if to say "what took you so long?" Cheeky bugger! I flipped him the bird and laughed!

I have many that sleep on their sides..along with the loaches....most of them bring the "oh-no!" reflex. Except SHerbert the betta. Even though he is in odd positions..his bright naughty eyes will swivel and let us know he is fine.
His betta bed plants died while I was axing the algae. So I have one of those reptile stick-on waterdish leaves (I boiled it to prevent release of its bacterial properties). But he sleeps wedged on the upper levels or draped over the log like a fainting southern bell. but as soon as someone aproaches he moves his eye around.

Poor departed Cookie also slept odd..until I was assured by many that like loaches..many discus do odd things at rest time.
The stiratus sleeps upside down nestleed with the gourami.
Crazy fish!

That's funny corvuscorax, my otos do the same thing. After I first got them I found one head-first at the bottom a plant, totally not moving. It was like that for hours so I thought for sure he was a gonner. I came back later with the net, and he was gone, and I'm looking all over the tank thinking the other fish are feasting on him. But then I counted up the otos and all of them were there. Now I am used to finding them wedged in or head-first in the strangest places. Oy!

My ocellaris clown sleeps on his side.
icon_lol.gif
But according to what I've read, that's what a lot of clownfish tend to do.

You know, I don't think I've ever had a clownfish that tried to be serious. Clownfish, clown loach, clown knife... Keep up the good work, guys. :p

I got a Male Betta that sleeps on his side, floating on top of the tank, more than once I have started to flush him and he just sits up like "why are you disturbing my sleep". :lol: :lol:

Just goes to show ya that we give up on em to easy..always about to flush em every time they take a nap or look funny.... we must annoy them greatly.

Can hear the fishy bridge club..
Loach #3: "gaawd my pets are soooo stupid! i finaally was geting some good rest, and the kids were leaving me alone amd Flashsides was keeping watch..and swoop! "

Tetra#2 *in suspense*:"Nooo! Whaaat haappend!"

Loach #3: "Big stupid hairy scaleless paw come for me. Scared the LIFE out of me it did. Well let me tell you.. I gave him my most withering glance... >harummph< !"

Cory #2: "Oooo! I would have finned him good!"

Tetra#2: No-no. they don't knoooow any better, poor dumb beasts! Sometimes I don't know WHY i keep these things. Every fish knows how ugly and akward they are!! And you have to move to slums to keep em, they just are not safe at home and die if you keep em more than a day there!"

Loach#3: "no need to tell me sistah!"

Discus #3: "My pets are sooo sweet. And soo well trained. you just have to get them in hand early on"

Cory#2: "Yeah, but they can be dangerous killers if tehy turn on you.... I wouldn't keep em!!"

Loach #3: "gaawd my pets are soooo stupid! i finaally was geting some good rest, and the kids were leaving me alone amd Flashsides was keeping watch..and swoop! "

Tetra#2 *in suspense*:"Nooo! Whaaat haappend!"

Loach #3: "Big stupid hairy scaleless paw come for me. Scared the LIFE out of me it did. Well let me tell you.. I gave him my most withering glance... >harummph< !"

Cory #2: "Oooo! I would have finned him good!"

Tetra#2: No-no. they don't knoooow any better, poor dumb beasts! Sometimes I don't know WHY i keep these things. Every fish knows how ugly and akward they are!! And you have to move to slums to keep em, they just are not safe at home and die if you keep em more than a day there!"

Loach#3: "no need to tell me sistah!"

Discus #3: "My pets are sooo sweet. And soo well trained. you just have to get them in hand early on"

Cory#2: "Yeah, but they can be dangerous killers if tehy turn on you.... I wouldn't keep em!!"

rotflol :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thas was great.

Bwaaahahahaha oh Xmas; thats TOO funny!

Apparently he felt bad about scaring the poo out of me, so he hasn't done that again.

When I had a ladder diffuser for my CO2 my serpaes would regularly get stuck behind it. I have no idea how they would get back there, it is a tight fit, but it was a regular occurrence. Maybe your angel was chasing a bit of food that got under there and just decided to wait it out. Or, maybe the fish is, in fact, a dork! :wink:

sounds like my otto god bless his soul (dun think they have any though) he got wedged inbetween my breeding net and the tank wall when i got home fomr school he was dead dont know how he got there though

My male betta likes to lay on his side, so does my CAE.

and my Banjo Cat has just been named Necro, since he does not move until I have him in the net and pull him out of the water.

Only after hes OUT of the water does he start to move, little bugger scared the crap out of me the next morning, laying like your angel Alli, on its side, wedged under one of the bright blue bottles in my tank [ it dodn't fall, he just wedged under one I have sitting on an angle ].

Oh boy these wooky fish.

LOL Ain't that the truth William. I have loaches, and I EXPECT them to lay on their sides under things. Although I did have one completely on its back; I thought it was dead, but apparently it was just napping. The dirty look I got when I tapped on the tank was evil LOL

I don't expect angelfish to do that tho LOL They are supposed to remain vertical!

Just last night I bought a spotted puffer. Not more than 3 hours later I saw it floating on a leaf, curled up in a ball. I watched it for a few minutes and thought for sure it was dead. I went to walk over, and it opened it's eyes and just swam off. It was sleeping! For the past year I have had 2 columbian catfish which never stop moving, so I was so scared to have a fish stop for so long. He was laying on top of a leaf, and wrapped his tail around to cover his eyes. Very strange. Haha.

-brent

Back
Top Bottom