Ice Storm - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is supposed to be a big ice storm where I live in Ontario between today and tomorrow. There is already some power outages in Kingston, I'm about 45mins from there. How am I to keep my fish tanks warm? We have a generator but that is going to be used for more important things like the fridge/freezer and what not. Not sure if my parents will let me use it for my tanks. Any suggestions?

If the house will be heated with the generator as well, if that should happen, use thick blankets and cover your tanks with them. You should leave a corner uncovered to make sure that oxygen can get in. That's all I can offer! Hope it doesn't come down to that at all.

We have an electric heater but it only heats so far. If there is room to plug it into the generator I'll see if they can move the heater to the end of the hallway so it will heat all our rooms. I don't have a battery powered bubbler either, how long do you think the tanks will be without one?

If you read this article, it will give you some tips on what to do in a power outage. :) If it doesn't last for more than 24 hours, your fish should be OK. If they are in a state of rest, they'll use less oxygen, which is a good thing.
Hurricaine & Power Outages

Keep the tank wrapped and insulated if it drops below 62 in the house, and make sure to agitate the water every now and then to replenish O2 and you should be good

Just keeping your heater plugged I should not draw much power at all, def use some good blankets as insulation, a sleeping bag would be ideal!

Thanks for all the tips guys luckily the power isnt out at the moment but its still freezing raining here like crazy! Hopefully i get lucky and all goes well. Ill def wrap the blankets around them if they go out

I live in an area that gets frequent power outages. I bought some battery powered air pumps. They are loud but work. For warmth. You can feel plastic bottles with hot water and float them in the tank. We keep a camp stove on hand and have propane heaters for emergencies. You can also hang a gallon jug full of water above the tank and poke a small hole in the bottom. The water will drop into the tank and keep the surface disturbed so oxygen gets into the water. Just be sure to only put a small pin hole and make sure it will not over flow your tank.

Back
Top Bottom