Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has recently got ich/whitespot, my water is perect and all reading great! The only thing i have changed to the tank is added some live plants!! Can plants carry ich? Or any other reasons why my a few of my fish have ich??

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope, it shouldn't come in on plants but it can be too low of a level of infection to notice for a while and it has a fairly long lifespan of 2 - 3 weeks in an aquarium before if will infect a fish.

To treat it just raise the temp of the tank up 86 degrees and keep it there for 2 weeks after the last signs of ich go away. Just be sure to raise the temp of the aquarium a few degrees every 15 minutes.

It was always my understanding that Ich could very well be transferred on anything (plant, substrate, driftwood, etc) if it was in the tomont stage of the cycle, but needed a fish as a host to continue its lifecycle.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

It was always my understanding that Ich could very well be transferred on anything (plant, substrate, driftwood, etc) if it was in the tomont stage of the cycle, but needed a fish as a host to continue its lifecycle.

as long as it was wet I agree.

Presumably, but I've never heard of it ever coming in from plants between both AA and the planted tank forums.

Nope, it shouldn't come in on plants but it can be too low of a level of infection to notice for a while and it has a fairly long lifespan of 2 - 3 weeks in an aquarium before if will infect a fish.

To treat it just raise the temp of the tank up 86 degrees and keep it there for 2 weeks after the last signs of ich go away. Just be sure to raise the temp of the aquarium a few degrees every 15 minutes.

Wow a few degrees every 15 minutes? I thought the rate was like a degree or two an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wow a few degrees every 15 minutes? I thought the rate was like a degree or two an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, when you temperature acclimate fish to an aquarium how long does it usually take? That's generally changing the temperature by a large amount in 10 - 20 minutes rather than just a few degrees.

I cured ich by raising temp to 82 for 2 weeks, added salt and quick cure or paraguard. Both are really good. Also add extra air stone and some stress guard to increase fish's immune system.

86F is way too hot imo might hurt the fishes. Besides anything higher than 80F speeds up ich's life cycle.

When you see the spots go away it doesn't mean ich is cured just means it's free swimming again. The little buggers will latch onto gravel and plants. You need to vacuum very well. Keep temp up even after spots are gone. Ich can be persistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I cured ich by raising temp to 82 for 2 weeks, added salt and quick cure or paraguard. Both are really good. Also add extra air stone and some stress guard to increase fish's immune system.

86F is way too hot imo might hurt the fishes. Besides anything higher than 80F speeds up ich's life cycle.

When you see the spots go away it doesn't mean ich is cured just means it's free swimming again. The little buggers will latch onto gravel and plants. You need to vacuum very well. Keep temp up even after spots are gone. Ich can be persistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

86 degrees is tolerated very very well by all but cold water fish. You are also correct about heat speeding up the life cycle, however at 86 degrees ich is unable to reproduce so temperature alone is more than enough to eradicate it from your system. Its a far safer method of treatment for ich than using any medications.

The ich could have come with the plants, since the plants could have been living in ich infested water, some of that water being transferred to the tank....
Depending on the stock you have, raise the temp, say around 84-86f for a couple of weeks, do lots of water changes and you'll be fine... if it's ich that is.

Its rare to come in on plants, but people still say to only buy plants from tanks without other fish or obvious snails present. You could have gotten it from the plants, but either way, its there now.

Crank heat up to 86, wait 2 weeks, it will be gone. Less stressful on fish and plants than meds would be. Also, add an airstone as warm water carries less oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom