Ich medicine or aquarium salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should I use ich medicine to defeat ich or aquarium salt? With heat of course. None of my fish have ich right now and I hope they never do get it (knock on wood), but I would like to know for future reference in case any of them do get it.

Depends on fish in the tank scaleless fish can't be treated with Kordon rid ich + neither can inverts,, if you have a planted tank you can't do salt +heat, I've never had ich before (knock on wood), I wouldn't really worry about it until it happened if it did happen at all. But as far as the question most people say Kordon rid ich, but older hobbyists that have been doing this 40+ years say salt + temp raise

Potluck: the fish I have are platys, cardinal tetras, and I will soon have GloFish tetras or GloFish danios

Not the answer to your question (directly), but if you quarantine new arrivals it reduces the chance that you will be treating your main tank.

Can Epson salt or table salt be used to treat ich?

Table salt has iodine and anti caking agents that are bad for fish. Epsom salt is an entirely different chemical- magnesium sulfate instead of sodium chloride.

Imo the most effective is a med (eg malachite green and formalin). If you catch it ideally early, high heat and / or salt will work as well. Either way carries a risk unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom