ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeISright

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody know what kind of rainbowfish this is? I bought it as a bosemani (there is also another one with it which im positive is a bosemani) and but im having second thoughts? Its currently in my QT tank.

The first one is with flash the second is without.

Attachments

• image-3662601096.jpg
    image-3662601096.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3579674389.jpg
    image-3579674389.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 117
Not my strong suit but it kind of looks like an australian rainbowfish. Don't trust my guess though!

Thats what i was thinking?! But im still unsure... If anyone is familiar with rainbowfish could you help?

The stripe makes me think it's a yellow rainbowfish, but the pictures are too yellow to tell.
"Australian" Rainbowfish (never understood why they call it that, they're almost all Australian)
Yellow Rainbowfish
Or Axelrod's Rainbowfish.
From the pictures it's not to clear what the base color is, so I covered three.

Chiroptera said:
The stripe makes me think it's a yellow rainbowfish, but the pictures are too yellow to tell.
"Australian" Rainbowfish (never understood why they call it that, they're almost all Australian)
Yellow Rainbowfish
Or Axelrod's Rainbowfish.
From the pictures it's not to clear what the base color is, so I covered three.

It almost looks like a boesmanis rainbowfish except it is pretty much blue/pale blue over the whole body and its inner stripe has a yellow line around it.

Ok update. Now that its colors are starting to show it almost look like there is greenish stripe above the blueish yellow one in the center

mikeISright said:
Ok update. Now that its colors are starting to show it almost look like there is greenish stripe above the blueish yellow one in the center

Does it look like it is starting to form red fins?

The second photo is a Melanotaenia boesemani. The first one is a little tricky, and may be a hybrid (which, unfortunately, are common in the aquarium trade), but could be M. duboulayi. Post more photos when it colours up a little more.

Tony

It looks like a young female of some kind to me
img_2054055_0_d4a5add7e6c6eda40542b7e44c039a8a.jpg

This is my male boesemani

Tony Gill said:
The second photo is a Melanotaenia boesemani. The first one is a little tricky, and may be a hybrid (which, unfortunately, are common in the aquarium trade), but could be M. duboulayi. Post more photos when it colours up a little more.

Tony

Lol both pics are of the same fish...

Oh, okay then. I didn't read your message carefully, and was confused by the reflective coloration on the other photo (my "M. duboulayi"). If it's just one fish, then I think there's no doubt you have M. boesemani - most likely a female, as blizowman 1 suggested.

Tony

If its blue/green with a stripe and red fins, I'd say Axelrod's. Keep an eye as it starts to color up.

Also, it may be a mix. Rainbowfish are one of the only larger fish that will both school with other species of its kind, and breed. So it could very well be a Bosemani-Australian. Or a Yellow-Axelrod's. I haven't had enough experience breeding them to know exactly how the genetics crosses, or how the fish will look.

I doubt it's a Boseman's though. It looks pretty solid..

Back
Top Bottom