Identify this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tampa_nick

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm usually in the saltwater forums so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot. I have this growing in my tanks at work. I have never seen this before and have no clue what it is.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389672416.307348.jpg

Any ideas?

I am assuming its a fw tank? Can you tell us anything about it (parameters, stock, maintenance, lights, etc)? Is a better picture of this 'growth' possible? Does it move?

I am honestly not sure what I am looking at in this pic (growth, insects, mold, algae?) but perhaps someone here hopefully may recognize it or a better pic may help!

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 7.8
Temp 78

It grows in a tree branch shape. Guessing some type of algae? Idk though it's strange looking and I have never seen anything like it.

How old is the setup, what's your substrate? This is across multiple tanks on a single water system?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gravel substrate, system is about 10 years old, it's in multiple tanks but not in all. System is 109 tanks total of 2550 gallons

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 7.8
Temp 78

It grows in a tree branch shape. Guessing some type of algae? Idk though it's strange looking and I have never seen anything like it.

Going to sound a bit odd but have you noticed it in different places? Side of the glass one day then maybe the back another or the bottom? Or expanding one day then contracting the next? The tree branch description rings a bell if you notice any of these 'movements'.

I'll look for that. It was scraped it off yesterday and it's back in the same tank overnight. Same size and everything.

This stuff is neat! I have a great link with what info I have discovered on it somewhere- I will dig it up and post it for you tomorrow. Its actually an oomycete or a water mold. Its a living 'thing' for lack of a better description but its not actually a true mold that we know (ie, something that grows on bread). They are almost entirely terrestrial creatures and live on plants. Once a RARE while, someone will encounter them in their fw tanks. Very rare and very unusual. And there is almost no information about them in home aquaria.

Good news is, they are harmless and live off of the biofilm and micro organisms in the tank (they clean the glass and décor). Bad news is it seems they almost impossible to completely remove or destroy if you wish to do so. Remind me in case I forget to post the articles! :)

Back
Top Bottom