Is 5 gallons really the minimum for FISH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Painterroy said:
I am a newbie and am currently doing a fishless cycle on my 5 gallon tank......So take everything that everyone says here with a grain of salt. While I wouldn't put a lot of fish in a 5 gallon tank, if you restrict yourself to a few small fish, you might be OK. Take everyone's opinions, do your research and make up your own mind.

I find that insulting to other hobbyists on here. Many have years and years of exp and know alot about this and some are even professional breeders. I agree everyone should do their own research and decide but I don't believe a noob to the hobby should be giving people advice to take others advice with a grain of salt.

I find that insulting to other hobbyists on here. Many have years and years of exp and know alot about this and some are even professional breeders. I agree everyone should do their own research and decide but I don't believe a noob to the hobby should be giving people advice to take others advice with a grain of salt.

I'm only saying that everyone has seems to have different opinions on the hobby and how to maintain tanks. I've been reading many sites and read many books since I started and one thing I've seen there is a million contradictory opinions. As an example, some sites say you should keep the fish you bring home in the bag, submerse it in the tank to get the temperature the same as in the tank and that you should put a little of the tank water in the bag to acclimate the fish to the water every ten minutes. But then I was just reading ""Freshwater Aquariums" by David E. Boruchowitz and in it he says this is a myth. That you do not have to put tank water in the bag, that it is unnecessary as it takes a fish 12 hours to get used to the water anyway.
Other examples are sites that say the PH is very important and other sites that say don't worry about the PH too much as most fish will adapt to different PH levels.
So all I'm saying is that with all this contradictory info ALL over the internet & books, You have to do your own research and make your own decisions.

jkdubs2 said:
How much do they cost where u live? Geez lol

The plain glass box ones are affordable but it seems like anything with a lid and a light is like $50 lol

I am a newbie and am currently doing a fishless cycle on my 5 gallon tank. You will find a lot of opinions here saying that you can only put 1 fish in a tank this size. There are some who have more than that and have said that they have done well. I think you could do a few small fish as long as you do a lot of water changes. I have told people that I plan on putting a female Betta, a julli catfish, and a molly in mine and the opinions have been mixed. I plan on doing 2 water changes a week, 1 gravel cleaning a week, I have live plants in the tank to help the fish. So half have said this should be OK, others have said this is too much. IMO I don't think this will be overstocked and as long as the water is maintained many have told me this will be OK. So take everything that everyone says here with a grain of salt. While I wouldn't put a lot of fish in a 5 gallon tank, if you restrict yourself to a few small fish, you might be OK. Take everyone's opinions, do your research and make up your own mind.

You cannot have a molly in a five gallon tank. Mollies need twenty gallons or larger. You're getting to the point where it's a bit cruel. Would you like to live in a closet?

The betta fish will definitely be fine. I don't know anything about that catfish, so I'm not going to give an opinion, but the molly definitely will not work. Just skip the molly.

I understand that you're all about "contracting opinions" and such, but there are some rules that you just can't break. Some people think that you can get away without doing water changes, but you can't. Some people think you can keep fish in smaller tanks than they require, but you can't.

You cannot have a molly in a five gallon tank. Mollies need twenty gallons or larger. You're getting to the point where it's a bit cruel. Would you like to live in a closet?

The betta fish will definitely be fine. I don't know anything about that catfish, so I'm not going to give an opinion, but the molly definitely will not work. Just skip the molly.

There is another example of different opinions. I've had moderators on 2 different fish forum sites saying the plan I had (& I did emphasize that it will be a planted aquarium with 2 or more water changes & gravel cleaning each week) and both said that this plan should be OK. (BTW the Julii Catfish only gets to be 2 inches, a small fish) And who do you belive about Mollys. In the Petsmart descriptions online it say 10 gallons or more. Other people say 20 gallons. Contradictions again.

There is another example of different opinions. I've had moderators on 2 different fish forum sites saying the plan I had (& I did emphasize that it will be a planted aquarium with 2 or more water changes & gravel cleaning each week) and both said that this plan should be OK. (BTW the Julii Catfish only gets to be 2 inches, a small fish)

If you do research on mollies, you'll learn that they do need twenty gallons. You should really trust your own research over the opinions of others. Fact is always stronger than opinion. You can't always wait for other people to do your research for you. A molly will really be cramped.

Put yourself in the molly's shoes. Would you rather live in a room that is two feet by two feet or a large home that can fit your needs? So would the molly.

You can't use "contradicting opinions" as an excuse to cut corners and do things you shouldn't. Some people think cycling is unnecessary, and they could say that cycling is only opinion and they have their own opinion. But cycling is necessary.

Painterroy said:
There is another example of different opinions. I've had moderators on 2 different fish forum sites saying the plan I had (& I did emphasize that it will be a planted aquarium with 2 or more water changes & gravel cleaning each week) and both said that this plan should be OK. (BTW the Julii Catfish only gets to be 2 inches, a small fish) And who do you belive about Mollys. In the Petsmart descriptions online it say 10 gallons or more. Other people say 20 gallons. Contradictions again.

I'm sorry but , a julli catfish and the Molly won't work. Jullis like to be in schools and need a 20-30g minimum. Molly needs a 20g. Please reconsider that stock.

Painterroy said:
. I've had moderators on 2 different fish forum sites saying the plan I had (& I did emphasize that it will be a planted aquarium with 2 or more water changes & gravel cleaning each week) and both said that this plan should be OK

No offence intended to moderators but just because you're a mod of a fish forum doesn't necessarily mean you are the best aquarist with extensive knowledge. It just means you want to help out around the forum.

Jon

I put guppies in my 5 gal. They are small and very hardy. This hobby is really opinion based

jondamon said:
No offence intended to moderators but just because you're a mod of a fish forum doesn't necessarily mean you are the best aquarist with extensive knowledge. It just means you want to help out around the forum.

Jon

Ouch! If you don't want great advise don't ask.

Painterroy said:
I am a newbie and am currently doing a fishless cycle on my 5 gallon tank. You will find a lot of opinions here saying that you can only put 1 fish in a tank this size. There are some who have more than that and have said that they have done well. I think you could do a few small fish as long as you do a lot of water changes. I have told people that I plan on putting a female Betta, a julli catfish, and a molly in mine and the opinions have been mixed. I plan on doing 2 water changes a week, 1 gravel cleaning a week, I have live plants in the tank to help the fish. So half have said this should be OK, others have said this is too much. IMO I don't think this will be overstocked and as long as the water is maintained many have told me this will be OK. So take everything that everyone says here with a grain of salt. While I wouldn't put a lot of fish in a 5 gallon tank, if you restrict yourself to a few small fish, you might be OK. Take everyone's opinions, do your research and make up your own mind.

Mollies produce a lot of ammonia and wouldn't even work in a 10 gallon just letting you know

WHAT ABOUT GUPPIES PEOPLE?

Uncle Dirty said:
Ouch! If you don't want great advise don't ask.

It wasn't intended to be an insult.

I was just saying. Moderators help to tidy up threads and enforce the rules of the forum.

Obviously a lot of mods are great aquarists too but it isn't a prerequisite that you're and expert to be a mod.

Jon

It's not a matter of differing opinion. Some stuff is just fact. All fish are different and all fish have different needs. There is far more to take into account than the size of the fish and your water change schedule. You need to think about their natural needs, bioload, activity level. Just because they don't school doesn't mean they aren't social fish and are not best kept as singletons.

Sure your Julii will stay small at only 2 inches. Size wise sure I can see how you'd think that you can stick it in your tank. But this fish is a shoaling fish. It's not an opinion of anyone, it's their natural instinct. They need these groups to feel safe and secure. Will it live alone? Sure. It will probably live a while as well. Will it me happy? Will it thrive in these conditions? No, not at all. It will probably spend a great amount of time stressed out but it can't tell you that. Just because a fish "seems happy" or looks ok doesn't mean it is.

Look at all these people that stick goldies in tiny tanks. You hear everyone saying on I had 3 fish in a bowl and they lived a long happy 3 years. In reality that's not even a 1/4 of the average gold fish life and they killed their goldfish with organ failure. It's painful and cruel but it's ok because until they died they seemed fine???

The people that are telling you that your molly is not ok in this tank are not doing it to have an opinion, or to give you a hard time. They are doing it because they honestly care about fish and have taken a lot of time and applied a lot of experience and put the fish needs first. Many of these people have years and years of experience. They've made mistakes and they've learned from them.

If you really care about your fish you will look into what they NEED not what people think "should" be ok. Molly are social fish, they do best in groups of about 3. They are heavy waste producers and grow to be between 3 and 6 inches depending on the type you get. They are very active swimmers and need a lot of space to swim. With these basic FACTS can you honestly tell me that you think it's ok to put this fish in a 5 gallon tank with other fish?? Upping the water change schedule isn't enough to compensate for a fishes basic needs and lack of space.

I could put you in a 10 x 10 room, with toilet and provide you with food and water everyday of life. Keep you fed and your room cleaned. I'm sure you'd live a rather long life in there too. Would you be happy though?

jondamon said:
It wasn't intended to be an insult.

I was just saying. Moderators help to tidy up threads and enforce the rules of the forum.

Obviously a lot of mods are great aquarists too but it isn't a prerequisite that you're and expert to be a mod.

Jon

You are correct ... Mods technically don't have to be experts on everything ...but AA mods are very knowledgeable, helpful with a lot of practical experience.

jcolon said:
You are correct ... Mods technically don't have to be experts on everything ...but AA mods are very knowledgeable, helpful with a lot of practical experience.

Very true.

Many of which have given me advice.

Jon

I actually do agree to take what you read with a grain of salt. Keep researching and eventually you'll get a better idea of who knows what they are talking about.

One major reason why there is a lot of conflicting opinions is that some people just dont have much experience in various methods. Another big reason is that the hobby has evolved greatly over the last few decades. 20-30 years ago it was common practice to throw "Cycling " fish in and let them die.

Many old school lfs owners still have this mentality.

That's one reason people assume fish-in cycling is cruel. Others think its hard, which is another fallacy often based on a bad experience.

As far as stocking goes, it just depends. What is the goal? If its to give the fish adequate housing and care then bigger is usually better. But we also have to keep in mind that we just have guidelines. A molly in a 15 instead of a 20 may be a bit less than an ideal "standard " but its not going to get stunted or suffer and die prematurely solely because of it.

However, one reason you'll see srandards on a forum is because there are many newbies that come on for advice, so generally speaking most people will adhere to these certain standard guidelines to help avoid confusion.

" All living souls welcome whatever they are ready to cope with; all else they ignore, or pronounce to be monstrous and wrong, or deny to be possible. " -George Santayana

Ok everyone let's stop fighting and move onto the next question. What would you consider the very minimum tank size for guppies? 5 gallons? I'm just interested

Ok everyone let's stop fighting and move onto the next question. What would you consider the very minimum tank size for guppies? 5 gallons? I'm just interested

personally I think 10 gallons. They are pretty messy fish. Little poop factories! 10 gallon gives you the option to have a few without such a worry with water quality. Like Mollies they enjoy company and I just don't think a 5 gallon is a great set up for 3 or 4 guppies.

Painterroy said:

Questions ask are usually out of lack of knowledge or just wanting a second opinion. Answers given are usually given from experience of others in trial and error or in plain knowledge of certain species.
Gathering opinions versus knowledge is different.
In my opinion I could live in a 4x4 closet, I fit and I can move a little so there for I should be able to live there. Not the case the air would go stale quickly and I would get sick and with Little room to move would not be happy.
The same applies with fish just because it fits doesn't mean it is healthy and it doesn't mean the fish will be happy.
Minimum tank sizes for different fish are given because of fish activity, aggression, waste and size.
Taking advice from more experienced fish keepers and/or doing allot of research is the only way to learn.
I recommend doing both.
The only advice that should be taken with a gain of salt is the advice that can be proven wrong with research.

For the original poster, we all try to give advice from our experiences and from what we know from research and maybe some from trial and error, I my self have learned a lot and received a lot of good help from the people on this forum, it is ultimately up to you what you put in your tank and how you care for it, but please DONT take all advice and information on this site with a grain of salt. Most of us just want your experience with tanks to be happy and healthy and we want the fish in your care to remain happy and healthy because the fish keeper is all that little fishy has, its not like it can move out or run away if it isn't properly housed and cared for.

Back
Top Bottom