Is a Small Crack in 3 gallon bowl fixable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a thin about 4 cm line (crack) at the very bottom corner of my bowl is this fixable?

buy another one..... You may be able to run some glazing silicone over the crack. as there is not much water pressure. Make sure the glass is dry and leave for 48 - 72 hours for curing time. Make sure also that the silicone is suitable for aquariums as some chemicals will bleed into the water and worse still break the bond between the glass and silicone and leak.

It's glass and yes, its leaking right now. How do I know which silicone to use?

I think you can use aquarium sealant on your aquarium (no poisoning issues there, right?). I bought some at PetSmart for a good price, but it wasn't for sealing, so I can't really say anything on that front. Still, it's worth looking into.

trotty said:
buy another one..... You may be able to run some glazing silicone over the crack. as there is not much water pressure. Make sure the glass is dry and leave for 48 - 72 hours for curing time. Make sure also that the silicone is suitable for aquariums as some chemicals will bleed into the water and worse still break the bond between the glass and silicone and leak.

I agree. You said it is in a corner so i take this is a square tank and not a round bowl. The silicone would be a quick fix but it will have to be aquarium safe (to save time searching i'd get it at the LFS) and it will have to cure for 3 days, so you need to find a rental home until the repairs are done. However when you can, get a new one. Even though theres not much pressure, if you repaired it, it is going to be hard to seal a corner without taking it apart.

A tube of silicon will cost as much as a new 3 gallon tank at the LFS. Unless this is an odd shaped starter kit tank with a specially designed filter just for that tank then I would just replace the tank.

yeah, a 3gallon bowl should be $5. PetCo regularly sells 10gal tanks for $10.

however I really don't like any tank smaller than 5gallon.

I'm hoping this is just a betta tank, one fish only?

You can usually get silicone at the hardware store in larger quantities and for less money than at the LFS. You just have to make sure that it is 100% silicone with no fillers/additives/colorants other than the acetic acid that keeps the silicone pliable until it dissipates. If you're going to be resealing anything, I'd suggest that. Since it's just a small container, the $4-$5 tube I've seen most LFS's carry would be fine. I've heard that clear nail polish on the outside in addition to the silicone on the inside could also help keep the crack from spreading/growing, but I've not yet had to try it on a tank or bowl.

malkore said:
yeah, a 3gallon bowl should be $5. PetCo regularly sells 10gal tanks for $10.

however I really don't like any tank smaller than 5gallon.

I'm hoping this is just a betta tank, one fish only?

My three gallon only has shrimp in it. I haven't seen any bowls at the petshop that cheap, but I am thinking of going acrylic/plastic.

The silicone thing in general seems like too much of a hassle, so I think I am going just buy a new bowl/tank at wal-mart when I have the money. The shrimp are alright, they're in a backup bowl I have for them, but until then I am just going to save up for a 2.5-5 gallon starter kit at walmart, at least then there is a guarentee if there is damage.

Thank you everyone for your help and taking the time to post.

Back
Top Bottom