Is a ten gal too small for cory cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to get two cory cats and two otos as tank cleaners in my 10 gal planted. www.liveaquaria.com is saying 30 gal minimum for these guys.

Is the 10g too small?

Other options? (I suppose I could get 3 or 4 otos, but the cats definatley do a differnt type of work in the tank) :wink:

I have kept corys for years in a 10 gallon no problem. Get at least two, but 3-4 would be better.

They do like company of their own kind tho.... I've got 3 peppered corys in my 10, with a few neons and male guppies.

So, get 3 or 4 of the smallest cory species you can find (schwartzi only get 1.5" long, the peppered just over 2"), and you should be good to go.

You could go with at least three or four normal size corys (i.e. bandit or bronze) or you could get five or six pygmy corys and a couple of otos. I've bred bronze corys in a ten gallon tank (actually the fish did the breeding without any help from me). Make sure and provide plenty of live plants and driftwood for cover.

I thin we all agree yes :) Just wanted to add a shout for panda corys - definately the cutest and remain small :D

Stuart said:
I thin we all agree yes :) Just wanted to add a shout for panda corys - definately the cutest and remain small :D

Ding...I picked up a couple of pandas last night. 8)
I didn't get that many becasue I don't want to overstock the tank. But they are cruising around together. Lots of plants and driftwood for them to play in.

Currently have 5 cardinal tetras, one platy (who I took out of my big tank. He was getting harassed after his buddy died) and 2 panda cories. I'm planning on getting 2 otos, and an apple snail. I will be pretty stocked then.

I definately agree about having more than one cory cat, in my opinion 3 would be best at minimum. I currently have only one albino cory cat in with a gourami and female betta. Hes doing just fine on his own, but he almost seems a little lonely or depressed. Id get him a friend, but my 5.5 gallon has no more room. The cories are hilarious little guys ,especially when they zoom to the top for a gulp of air.

I love my pandas too, but I really love my albinos.

Attachments

• albino_coryresize_wizard-1.jpg
    albino_coryresize_wizard-1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom