Is aquarium salt beneficial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YY7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it beneficial to use aquarium salt in fresh water tank? Is it good for tropical fish and plants?
icon_surprised.gif

I was wondering the same thing but I am getting mixed answers. Apparently, it is not needed for freshwater fish but according to aquarium salt boxes, it prevents/treat diseases in fish. But too much will go past the point of being beneficial and it can kill the fish in the longrun.

Definitely not for plants. <At least not the usual plants you get ... there are brackish water plants ... someone had a site with salt tolerance of the different plant, but I've lost the link .... anyways, only maybe 10% of plants will survive even a low level of salt.>

Fish - well it depends. Salt can certainly treat diseases. But maintaining constant salt level is prob not a good thing. For one thing, it selects out resistant organisms. <Eg. Mass market goldfish breeders keep their fish in salt water, so they now have salt resistant ich .... some tolerate up to 1% salt & wreck havoc on the unsuspecting hobbyist.>

there are brackish water plants ... someone had a site with salt tolerance of the different plant, but I've lost the link .... anyways, only maybe 10% of plants will survive even a low level of salt.>
you mean this one?
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

i would also like to point out adding aquarium salt doesnt make it brackish water.... just so its clear.

but according to aquarium salt boxes, it prevents/treat diseases in fish.
i have seen boxes that state their product will cure everything known to man in the aquarium no water changes needed and so forth.... well on that subject there are tonics out there that claim to cure everything under the sun in humans too..... the point is you cant always trust whats on the box. a generally rule of thumb for me is take what the person selling you something with a grain of salt. to much temptation to say what ever to make the sale and sadly happens often. i agree with what jsoong says on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom