Is chemical filtration necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep seeing "carbon is pointless" ... Does that mean that many people choose to run filters without chemical filtration, or that everyone is using a carbon alternative?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I keep seeing "carbon is pointless" ... Does that mean that many people choose to run filters without chemical filtration, or that everyone is using a carbon alternative?
I ran my tanks without any chemical filtration for many years. I do agree, that carbon is pointless unless you are trying to absorb a foreign substance from the water.

Lately, I have been running Purigen in a couple of my tanks to absorb tannins, which it does well. It also seems to help reduce nitrates.

Generally, my recommendation with chemical filtration is that it is the solution to a problem. Make sure you have a problem you want solved before you start using it.

I just plain can't stand the media you have to replace.
Just money down the drain.

Purigen, on the other hand, is amazing and I'll recommend it to anyone no matter what type of tank it is.

Purigen costs about 3x more than carbon.

A 100gram bag of the stuff is good for a 100G tank.

It lasts around 6 months before it needs to be recharged, which takes around 4 days to do properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good info thanks.

I got some Seachem Renew on clearance, it said it's more plant friendly than carbon, so I figured what the heck. But I don't know that there was a problem it is solving.

Might have just solved my "not enough room in the filter box" issue too.

Good info thanks.

I got some Seachem Renew on clearance, it said it's more plant friendly than carbon, so I figured what the heck. But I don't know that there was a problem it is solving.

Might have just solved my "not enough room in the filter box" issue too.

Renew works fine as well, I do seem to recall a Seachem member on their forum claiming that Purigen is the ultimate chemical filtration.
So you could always just hop over to that when you're out of Renew.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into purigen if I start having an issue that calls for chemical filtration! And I'll keep the carbon that came with the filter in case I ever medicate.

I give the thumbs up for purigen. The water clarity is outstanding and when I do a water change into a white bucket it is crystal clear with no colour or smell. It's not cheap but worth it for it effectiveness.

I give the thumbs up for purigen. The water clarity is outstanding and when I do a water change into a white bucket it is crystal clear with no colour or smell. It's not cheap but worth it for it effectiveness.

Well, when you think about it, Purigen can last 5 years.

For the same price, Carbon would only last about 3 months...

I always changed carbon filters monthly, until I bought a large piece of driftwood that just wouldn't quit leaching tannins. I tried a bag of Purigen, and it's been about 3 months since, water is clearer, parameters better.

I never use carbon except for a HT when removing meds. Then again, I haven't needed a HT in I don't know how long.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Back
Top Bottom