Is hot glue safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to collect some rocks from a local river today to make a cave for my fish tank. Can I use hot glue to adhere the rocks to the PVC pipe?

It is non toxic but I am not sure how well it would hold up under water. Aquarium safe silicone would be a better choice.

gel supe glue works and is safe people use it to secure frags in saltwater im not sure how it'd hold with the weight of the rock your best bet may be the silicone

It is safe, but a 2 part epoxy will work better when mixing elements like that, just make sure it's completely cured before putting the pieces in your tank. Pure silicone works best on glass for longterm adhesion. It'll work on plastic/acrylic for a while, but will eventually fail.

I wouldn't. I would pick up a little tube of GE I silicone for basement/kitchen/attic for a few bucks at Walmart.

super glue, hot glue, and silicone all work just fine. I personally use super glue gel and silicone, but I have used hotglue with no ill effects before as well.

Back
Top Bottom