Is it immoral to euthanize guppy fry...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Major Risk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have an overpopulated tank, that is soon to be swamped with more fry.
I have heard that it is commonplace for people to give fry to Oscar keepers, but I have none in my region, and I think Clove oil would be a nicer end to life than an oscar.

I wanted to know your views on euthanizing some guppy fry because of population explode... none of the fish in my tank will eat the fry, they could easily do it but don't. I would like to have some options, but getting another tank isn't possible... :confused:

Major Risk said:
Hi,
I have an overpopulated tank, that is soon to be swamped with more fry.
I have heard that it is commonplace for people to give fry to Oscar keepers, but I have none in my region, and I think Clove oil would be a nicer end to life than an oscar.

I wanted to know your views on euthanizing some guppy fry because of population explode... none of the fish in my tank will eat the fry, they could easily do it but don't. I would like to have some options, but getting another tank isn't possible... :confused:

See if your LFS will take them as a donation. And put up a free add on Craigslist.

I personally don't have anything against it. I culled many guppy fry when I was breeding them (bent spines, etc). Once my population exploded they started becoming snacks for my angel. I don't see any wrong with feeding them to larger fish, big fish eat little fish after all.

Back
Top Bottom